1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AST moving my classroom around while I'm not there..

Discussion in 'Primary' started by roseangel, Jun 28, 2011.

1. My thoughts? Bloody cheek! It's your room and she is a visitor to it. If she wants to move things round for her lessons, fair enough but she needs to put it all back before she leaves. I'd be fuming!

2. Speak to the AST and ask what the reasons are for the changes.

3. I won't see the AST because I'm out when the AST is in. I've been told the head has given permission to do whatever...

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

It's your class. Nobody else has the right to change things to suit themselves. Tell the AST to sod off.

5. There is obviously a reason why an AST is working in the class (it is not simply for supply cover) - discuss it with the AST and work with them to create changes that work effectively for both of you. Possible reasons for the changes are:
    - to create a stimulating learning environment
    - to develop working walls
    - to showcase high quality work

I am an AST an am deployed to work in schools for many reasons. My viewpoint is that it is more effective to work with and support the school and the teacher. I would never undermine a teacher or deliberately do things to cause stress or problems. ASTs are there to support and develop teaching and learning.

6. Just want to add, that ASTs are there to support teachers. I don't understand why the AST is teaching in your class when you are not there. Surely there is no benefit.

7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Change back anything you don't like, take down anything you don't like and have not agreed to.

8. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

This.

9. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

What's an AST? [​IMG]

10. I had the same issue with a member of SLT who believe that it was her right to do what she saw fit in my room despite the fact I tried to speak to her about it.
    It got completly out of control - she complained to the head about me though she had no grounds!
    I agree with the other posts it is your room if someone, whoever they are, wish to change the room around whilst teaching then it should be put back to how you left it.

11. When a teacher in my last school was out sick her sub changed her room around. I mean moved text books and anything else she decided shouldn't be in the way my teacher liked her books etc organised. Even after the teacher came back and was absent for few days training etc same thing happened the sub had to have the room to suit her.

12. Advanced Skills Teacher [​IMG]

13. ASTs are there to support learning and possibly improve teaching. Maybe tje AST want to encourage "think-pair-share" and peer assesment. If you dont see any benefit of what the AST is doing, tell them. The AST must have an explanation for this.

14. If everything is already OK then there would be no reason for the AST to change anything or for the AST to be working in the class.
    Maybe you should try and consider the benefits of the changes (there will be a teaching a learning reason behind them), rather than complaining. Changes wouldn't be made just to annoy teachers.

15. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Arranger of Stools and Tables [​IMG]

16. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Answer above, forgot the quote!

17. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Want to bet?

18. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

[​IMG] .... after all, the salary has to be justfied somehow!

19. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

a few assumptions here - sounds like the AST is doing basic cover, they
    are not doing any out- or in-reach work, otherwise surely there would
    be discussion and interaction with the teacher?? And an AST who can not
    flexibly work in an existing classroom environement and introduce change
    in consultation with the teacher is clearly not as 'excellent at
    everything' as they are supposed to be
    doubly presumptious, firstly that there are benefits beyond bolstering
    the AST's sense of control over the environment (a basic feature of
    insecurity) and secondly that there are good T+L reasons rather than
    serving personal neediness. I think these changes aren't being made to
    annoy the teacher (from the OP neither do they), they are being made
    without any consideration of a colleague (another sign of a sense of
    personal/professional inadequacy)
    Trainertryout, you aren't by any remote a serving or aspiring AST are you?

20. [​IMG] would love it if moving chairs and tables around was all I was required to do. Might give it a go though.