1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AST Assessment

Discussion in 'English' started by PIGGYSSPECS, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has recent experience of the AST assessment day and can give me some advice? I have mine next week and, apart from the brief information I've been given by the assessor, I don't really know what to expect. It says they are expecting two 'excellent' lessons - does that mean 'Outstanding' against the new Ofsted criteria, or a range of teaching skills? Does anyone have any examples of questions that I might be asked?

I'd really appreciate any advice!

2. Hello Muggle1978,
    My AST assessment day was a long time ago - not sure if it has changed - but as a high school English teacher I was observed teaching a KS3 and a KS4 lesson. You should ensure that both lessons show off the range of teaching skills you have as well as covering the criteria for Ofsted. Check the AST criteria as this will be your assessor's baseline - they are not Ofsted inspectors (in this instance) but best to be on the safe side. My assessor was very interested in talking to the students which I was happy about. I had a folder full of very positive information - the usual data showing progression plus notes, cards and letters from former students. The parent interviews were also great!
    I was nervous but I found the assessor put me at ease as he was not expecting perfection! I remember taking about how I saw my outreach role supporting other teachers in further developing their skills rather than going in and telling them what to do. I had a very clear view about how I saw my role developing as I had been a Head of department and I had had much success in working with colleagues, so I had lots of example of how I had supported other professionals. Look at the AST criteria and your evidence folder and make sure everything ties up and reinforces / supports the AST standards.
    Hopefully all the work will have been done by the time your day arrives so on the day ENJOY it! Oh yes make sure all your colleagues know what the day is about and anyone (including the head) who is being interviewed has been PREPPED. Plus tea, coffee, water, biscuits etc will be appreciated by the assessor (perhaps a car park space for the day) - it all helps the smooth running.
    Good luck - and well done!

3. Hi To-be-or-not-to-be,
    Thanks so much for your reply and all the useful tips. It's hard to envisage actually enjoying the day at this stage!...but hopefully by the time it comes around I will! Hadn't given much thought to the practicalities of parking and biscuits - but essential of course! Thanks again x