1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assult - Whats the usual response?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by the night owl, Mar 15, 2011.

1. After almost 10 years of teaching I have been recently assulted both physically and verbally by a student and to be honest I am upset at how the system seems to work. I was just curious if I was over reacting and the response I got is pretty much standard or if things are done differently elsewhere.
    Essentially I was punched/shoved from behind with no warning or reason the subjected to a verbally agressive tirade from the student when spoken to by me. There was lost of shouting, swearing, and agressive posturing on the students part before they walked off. A member of staff walked by and informed others as per procedure, I informed the incident as per procedure. Then had to teach my lesson/s. At lunch I discovered the incident had not been picked up / student had not been seen. I was upset at the time why noone had popped along to see if I was OK.
    Someone did pick up the incident then, witness staments, from others, an incident report from me were completed and the student was off for 2 days until a meeting was arranged. Today I saw the student in school and in lessons.
    To be honest I am shocked that such behaviour warrents only 2 days at home (not a formal 2 day exclusion) until a meeting and the removal from my one lesson (student has been out of other lessons with me for some time due to a redduced TT).
    Is anyone else shocked that this can have so little consequence or is this the norm? I have got my school to discuss emergeny procedure at a year team meeting as a reult of expressing my unhappiness with this. But I guess I can do little else. The parents and students have been told this is the consequence for the actions, the meeting has taken place. All I wonder is what does a student have to do to recieve a more serious consequence.
    Am I overreacting to be unhappy with the consequence and the resolution? Do most schools deal with such incidents in a similar way?
    All and any replies gratefully recieved
    Night Owl.

2. koali

koali New commenter

Have you informed your union rep?
    He/She should be able to get a reason for why the 2 day suspension was not "formal" and should be collating all similar events as a matter of Health and Safety.
    Also, this should be recorded as a matter of Health and Safety somewhere within the school. Some LEA's (but not all) have a special form which collates this information and it is stored by the local authority.
    A formal exclusion is the norm in witnessed incidents of this type, although the length of such an exclusion is up to the Head.
    The only times I have come across informal exclusions such as this have been where the teacher has provoked the incident or retaliated in an inappropriate way witnessed by other students.
    or,
    if a school has too high a level of formal exclusions.

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

If someone assaulted me I would inform the police as a matter of course. Whether it took place on or off school premises would not affect my decision one jot.

4. koali

koali New commenter

As a Union rep - I always tell members who have been assaulted in this way that they have the right to report this to the police. However, I also tell them that the response from the police can be varied- from a simple form to fill in if the police do not perceive a serious incident has occurred to a very positive home visit to the pupils house in some cases. Its a bit of a lottery.Prosecutions are rare unless physical injury can be proved.