1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asst/Dep Headship interview question - what have you done that has been UNSUCCESSFUL and what have you learnt from this?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by creativelady, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Hi All,

I am currently applying for Assistant/Deputy Headships adn has an interview recently during which one of the initial questiosn asked was "tell us about something that you did which was unsuccessful and how you dealt with that and learnt from it"

I presumed that it was at a management level, however, following the interview (in which the internal candidate was apppointed), the feedback that I was given suggested that they were primarily wanting a teacher, therefore wanted to hear about an incident/event whilst teaching that was unsuccessful. I was also asked what I would do to take the school to outstanding and the feedback was that I was critical of the school.
    Just wondering what they are wanting to hear?

Any help welcomed and very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. By the way, I did spend a little more time spell checking my application form than I did on this post! [​IMG]

3. More if a case that your face didn't fit?

4. Not sure. If the internal candidate was lined up then fair enough but the feedback was limited.
    What are they looking for when they ask what was unsuccessful?!

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

They were merely justifying their not selecting you - this question would normally expect a response related to leadership/management.
    The 'you were criticical of the school' bit belongs in the same category of 'why we didn't pick you', in my opinion.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

*critical*
    Sometimes my fingers just get carried away!
    I want to add that you mustn't be dismayed or downhearted - I stopped asking for feedback after my first deputy headship interview precisely because I realised (being sensible/intelligent/knowledgeable enough to know what was and was not a good answer) that they simply preferred someone else. This will happen until they prefer you! I was preferred on my fourth attempt to be a deputy, but preferred as a head on my first attempt.