1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Associate Assistant Head- whats the difference

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by kellylouise21, Mar 28, 2020.

1. kellylouise21

kellylouise21 New commenter

Hi,

Associate Assistant Head... what actually is it? I know ow the difference between deputy and assistant but not come across this position before.

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Rather lower than assistant head.
    People who were seconded to SLT were often given this title whan I was in mainstream.
    I'm sufficiently old and out of it to be able to regard all those subordinating clauses in the title as "reasons to avoid" or "lots of work but little real status" or in a school I heard of recently "sacrificial lamb when the ordure hits the ventilator".
    However, for a younger person, it's a way up the career ladder to try to earn enough to live on.

agathamorse and Rott Weiler like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Job Title inflation! Don't worry about the title, what is the job description? What does the postholder actually do? Who do they report to?

agathamorse, simonCOAL and TheoGriff like this.
  4. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Good advice.
    I’m always amused by job title inflation.
    At one primary school I worked in, we had a Faculty of Humanities. Denise and me. Just the two of us. Denise liked to have ‘Faculty Head’ printed on any conference ID cards, email signature... she appreciated the humour.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

It doesn't only happen in schools. When I was a student, the department I was in had two professors (one of whom was head of department), one reader and the rest of the staff were lecturers or senior lecturers. There are now 18 professors, 14 associate professors and nobody as humble as a lecturer or senior lecturer.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. NorthWest

NorthWest New commenter

For me, this is just tactics to keep people or promote people or pay people on the cheap for the AHT role.