1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assisted Reading.

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by 342832, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Hi,I am a Level 2 qualified TA and I am currently volunteering at my local primary school (as I have so far successfully not got employment! not through lack of trying though!!). I support reception children and the teacher has asked if I would support a small group of children who are really struggling with reading (the children recieve no support from the parents with reading apparently [​IMG]

2. Sit and read with them around you so they can see you reading and running your finger under the words. Talk to them about the books (story or information) so they can learn to enjoy reading. Choose books with repetition and encourage them to join in.

3. I am sure you know this already but it's ok for the children to talk about the pictures and have a guess at what's going on. And running your finger under words as you read them. You sound like a dedicated and caring TA and I am sure you will be snapped up into employment soon. Best of luck [​IMG]

4. Many children come to school not knowing how to read and i have known many like this. So this term they will start learning phonics. How far will they have got? depends on the school bur SATPINCK by now? Will they have started blending them to make words? So as above,read to them following/showing them the words and the pictures. Talk with them about the pictures. Perhaps use books with few words per page, perhaps use phonics books. Until they know the basic phonemes they aren't going to read.

5. Any school teaching phonics as recommended in the Govt guidance, Letters and Sounds, let alone in all the good 'commercial' synthetic phonics programmes, should have covered, or almost covered one way of spelling most of the 44 (ish) phonemes by now and the children should have been using their knowledge for decoding and blending right from the very first week of instruction.
    I disagree entirely. It is the children who should be reading. They should be reading words which contain the letter/sound correspondences which they have learned so far and writing them. The TA is presumably there to help the children improve their reading skills, not brush up on her own (which is the only practical effect of her doing the reading). 'Showing' the children the words and pictures will teach them nothing at all.