1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assistant Teacher on a Supply Contract

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by mrshima, Jan 4, 2012.

1. I sent an application for assistant teacher post at an international school. The school replied today that application for the position had closed in November, but asked me to let them know if I am interested in working as an assistant teacher on a supply contract.

While it is not guaranteed that I will be hired, I am excited at the prospect. I am a recent graduate and I have been at home for the last 6 months waiting for my placement at public school as teacher, which, for reasons unclear to my friends and me, is very delayed. The Ministry announced this week that we would get our postings 'early this year' and there have been rumours about it being this month. I am weary, having waited for so long on the possibility of getting the official letter/phone call 'next week' and 'the week after the next'.

Anyway, I guess what I would like to find out is whether I should tell the school that I am interested, but at the same time I might have to leave the job on a short notice. Should I tell that to them at all? Being new to teaching and unfamiliar school systems I do not fully understand the term supply contract. I hope someone could explain that to me. And also is it possible to have a contract that lasts a week or two, and is renewable?

For information I am in Malaysia, SEA.

2. I sent an application for assistant teacher post at an international school. The school replied today that application for the position had closed in November, but asked me to let them know if I am interested in working as an assistant teacher on a supply contract.

While it is not guaranteed that I will be hired, I am excited at the prospect. I am a recent graduate and I have been at home for the last 6 months waiting for my placement at public school as teacher, which, for reasons unclear to my friends and me, is very delayed. The Ministry announced this week that we would get our postings 'early this year' and there have been rumours about it being this month. I am weary, having waited for so long on the possibility of getting the official letter/phone call 'next week' and 'the week after the next'.

Anyway, I guess what I would like to find out is whether I should tell the school that I am interested, but at the same time I might have to leave the job on a short notice. Should I tell that to them at all? Being new to teaching and unfamiliar school systems I do not fully understand the term supply contract. I hope someone could explain that to me. And also is it possible to have a contract that lasts a week or two, and is renewable?

For information I am in Malaysia, SEA.