1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assistant housemistress term dates

Discussion in 'Independent' started by SiriusB, Feb 18, 2020.

1. SiriusB

SiriusB New commenter

Hi all,

I am keen to work as assistant housemistress, having gained some experience in my mainly day school, where I help with the one boarding house once per week. A job I am very interested in has recently come up and I am keen to apply. However, the job description says that the AHM is expected to work for up to a week before the beginning of term and up to a week after. This is a total of 6 weeks and very different to other AHM job descriptions that I have seen, which specify 1-2 days on either end of term.

If anyone has experience of such roles, could you give me your opinion as to whether this is a contractual obligation or if it is more of a worst case scenario? I am from another country and use the holidays to visit home, so the requirement to be in an empty school for an additional 6 weeks would probably discourage me from applying.

Many thanks!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I assume the 'up to a week' means something like:
    Autumn term: A week at the start and a day or two at the end
    Spring term: A day or two at the start and end
    Summer term: A day or two at the start and a week at the end.

Ring the school and ask them.

3. cduffner3

cduffner3 New commenter

It is usually (from my experience) the worst case scenario- House staff and teaching staff usually have a week before Sept start but apart from that it's normally accepted that you leave once everyone is on a plane! (I've never worked a week at the end of the summer term) One to clarify though, I agree.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Suggest you look closely at the job description. Is this exclusively a pastoral role, or are there aspects of housekeeping too? Ask about the housekeeping staff and their line of management. Key message always on this forum - independent schools are independent, so they vary a lot!