1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assistant HoD interview - any tips?

Discussion in 'English' started by captain_picard, Feb 10, 2011.

1. captain_picard

captain_picard New commenter

This will be a promotion for me, any tips on types of question I will be asked?

Many thanks!

2. Probably a mix of teaching and management questions.

How you would deal with a difficult member of staff, what the first thing you would do in role would be and why...

That sort of thing

3. Do a mind map of the things you have achieved and the impact they have had. Look up some management books for advice ; eg: Pocket Book series have a good one on Head Department that covers most things, but there are others. If you are considering this role you should apply to got on some generic HoD training/Inset as this will give you a good insight into the role and allow you to meet others. Look on the Leadership section of the forum here to see what issues and dilemmas reg come up,
    Good Luck, [​IMG]

4. I was asked what I would do if the HOD wanted to implement something and I didn't agree with it. I said I'd always put forward a consistent approach which I'm assuming was the right answer as I got the job! Good luck.