1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assistant Head

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by oi miss, May 13, 2011.

1. Sounds unreasonable to me - someone in that position should recieve more than other staff as you'll have so much more responsibility. Not illegal though, so you may be forced to accept it or go elsewhere.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I normally respond to people moaning they aren't paid enough by advising them to find another job - but in your case, they're clearly having a laugh. I'd still find another job if I were you, but I'd do so in the knowledge that this school clearly was taking the pee and didn't deserve me.

3. Assistant Head is a title/post on the Leadership Scale. Payroll have to pay you a leadership salary with that title. Always 2 points behind a deputy but you could catch up. The only difference between deputy & assistant is 1 responsibility- you can't authorise any type of exclusion. I would negotiate starting grade. If you have been acting dep L6 might be appropriate. If the school can't manage as they haven't budgeted for this then say you will compromise by accepting 2 L points if you reach your PM targets in one year. Good luck!