1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assistant Head Teacher Leadership Pay Ranges

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by tomandem23, Mar 30, 2018.

1. tomandem23

tomandem23 New commenter

Do AHT need to be paid within the same range in the same school?

For example can you advertise an AHT post for L13-17 but then another AHT post for L11-14?

I know AHTs are paid differently within the range based on experience but my understanding was that the range needed to be the same.

2. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

Does one have more responsibility than the other?

3. tomandem23

tomandem23 New commenter

Same level of responsibility.

4. tomandem23

tomandem23 New commenter

Anyone got any ideas about this one?

5. install

install Star commenter

You can have layers of aht within ranges and with varying levels of accountability.
    In my experience those ranges do not impinge on another but allow movement of pay up in each range. There is usually a similar number of scale pts in each range.

So say - L7 to 11, L12 to 16,.L17 to 21 ...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  6. pi r squared

pi r squared New commenter

I'm not aware of any legal or contractual reason why a school cannot do this, but it isn't the best practice in my eyes. Schools can pay anyone they like on the Leadership scale so if creating a "lesser" post than the current Assistant Head post then surely it's better to reflect that in the title of the post too and not call it AH.

tomandem23 likes this.
  7. tomandem23

tomandem23 New commenter

So you have three AHT -
    1. Teaching and Learning
    2. Raising Standards
    3. Exams, BTEC & Careers

Then there are Directors of Maths, English, Science and 6th Form.

I would think the AHT should be the same range say L13-17 and the Directors should be the same say L11-14.

8. pi r squared

pi r squared New commenter

That would be logical and it would be a questionable decision if they weren't the same range - but that ultimately is down to the school and there isn't, to the best of my knowledge anyway, any external factors that would make it a compulsory decision.

tomandem23 likes this.
  9. tomandem23

tomandem23 New commenter

Just very poor practice!