1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assistant Head query

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by cleobud, Oct 27, 2011.

1. cleobud

cleobud New commenter

I am considering asking my Head to make me Assistant Head, am already on TLR as Senior Teacher and Inclusion Co-ordinator but feel the TLR does not reflect my job and expectations within it, we have a Deputy and 7 TLRs in our Primary school with 15 classes. I would like to be on the leadership scale, the Head already considers me 'above' the other TLRs, any thoughts?

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

My first thought is that your school has too many managers already and obviously a much bigger budget than most primaries.
    If one of my (2) Tlr staff asked to be made assistant head I'd be very surprised. How do you think the other TLR post holders would view the situation? Would they ask for the same ? Could you end up with 7 AHTs ?
    The management structure is about the needs of the school not what you want.
    If you want to be AHT apply for an AHT post when it comes up. I think you might be surprised what it entails, particularly in a less "management heavy" school.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

WOW! I wonder what would happen if I asked my HT if he would 'make me AH because I know he considers me 'above' the other TLRs and I'd like to be on the leadership scale'...

Actually I know what would happen. The HT would be stunned at the audacity of it and amazed at the cluelessness of how the management structure is set up and what needs to be done to change it. Add to that the rest of the TLR postholders would never stand for one of us being promoted just like that, and rightly so.

4. cleobud

cleobud New commenter

I in no way meant my post to sound 'above myself'. I joined the school 3 years ago as one of 2 TLRs on the SLT, since then there have been an additional 3 TLRs across the school, rising to 7. I am asked to be in charge of the school when the Head and Deputy are out, myself and another colleague are called by the Head the 'inner SLT' with the Deputy.The other TLRs are subject leaders. I understand that my post appears unreasonable given the fact that there are other TLRs in the school but they are not all on SLT nor do they have whole school responsibility when the Head and Deputy are out. My HT would certainly not be stunned at my audacity, he says he appreciates it when I challenge him, I am very experienced and I feel my role does not reflect that expected of a TLR.
    Thank you for your posts, any others welcome.

5. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

The 'old senior teacher' post used to have the highest TLR. You stand more chance of that.
    Why would you want to go on leadership?
    Probably best to look for a post in another school.