1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assistant Head Pastoral - who can apply?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by november7, Dec 7, 2011.

1. There is an Assistant Head (Pastoral) vacancy at my school and I need to know if a teaching qualification is necessary to apply or if you need QTS status?

2. There is an Assistant Head (Pastoral) vacancy at my school and I need to know if a teaching qualification is necessary to apply or if you need QTS status?

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

As it is an assistant headship you would be a teacher, with QTS and several years of experience and probably a head of department or head of year role.

4. Thanks daisy, is that a hard and fast rule, or can there be exceptions??

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some schools have taken the Head of Year role out of teachers' areas, and appointed non-teaching HoY who devote themselves exclusively to this.
    I can see that being extended to AH Pastoral.
    Why don't you just ask?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Is there a person specification? If so, it will tell you if you need a teaching qualification or not.

As it is more of a manager role, it is possible that it could be someone without QTS.

7. There can now be exceptions, but it depends upon the status and type of the school. I am actually in that role in a recently appointed Academy and i have now been told that in fact the role can be farmed out to non-QTS appointed indivdiuals. So good news for you, and not so good for me! Effectively an Academy Head can now appoint any 'teacher' they want, irrespective of the qualifications. That said, this has always been the case in private schools.