1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assistant head of french - personal statement - I need your help

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Modestus, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Modestus

Modestus New commenter

I have been teaching languages for 5 years and I have worked as second in department for a year. There is an internal role in my new school ( I started in September) and I am thinking of going for it. Not sure I am going to get it though. As this will be my first application for Assistant Head of French ( last time it was given to me without having to write a letter or go through an interview process) and I'm a bit stumped as to what to put in my application letter.
    Any advice or even sample letters to get me started would be greatly appreciated. This is my email address: modestoulla@yahoo.com

Thanking you in anticipation!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good approach in allowing for you may not getting it, but 'nothing -ventured nothing gained'. At the very least it will enable you to consider what you may put in any future applications and have some info to get you started.

Think about the difference between a 'Second' and a HoD. They want someone to learn the ropes, input into the Dept., but be prepared to acceded to HoD's decision. Being a Second can sometimes be really hard and tough and it takes a special personality to do it well. So what could you bring to the Dept? What do you hope to learn from the experience?
    Have a close look at the 'essential Criteria' in the job description. Do you fulfill all those? Think of examples where you have demonstrated them.

3. Modestus

Modestus New commenter

Thanks for your email. I don't want to sound arrogant, but I know I can do the job, but like i said I find it really hard to put all my ideas/experience together and present them in a coherent way.
    Thanks for the advice. It is really useful. It has helped me get started.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

A couple ofpeople have referred to the STAR technique 'STAR technique - Situation, Task, Action, Result.
    There's a link here.
    and here

5. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

Is there a list of essential and desirable qualities / experience / qualifications? If so, use this as a basis for your application.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.