1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assistant head eng. PM targets.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Daredevil111, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Daredevil111

Daredevil111 New commenter

As it says, what would be typical targets for an assistant head of English, bearing in mind this is the first time they are undertaking such a role in their career.

what would be their duties also? Besides the generic ones listed on the job description.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Duties would be those in the job description and whatever you write with the HOD in the action plan.

Targets would depend on what the needs of the school are in English, the experience of the assistant head of English, the targets of the head of English, the other roles in the dept, etc, etc.

3. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

When you say assistant head of English, do you mean like second in department?

I know this is probably going to seem utterly unhelpful, but I doubt there is going to be anything like a definitive answer, as too much will vary from school to school. For example, I know one school that split the second role as there were three excellent candidates and had one with special responsibility for each key stage. Others might have special charge of a new initiative/course/way of teaching being introduced to a department. My first school, on the other hand, was too small to have seconds!

On a practical level, I'd say that a key and fairly universal duty of a second in department is to 'act up' in the short term if the HoD is unavailable e.g. if the HoD and half the department get flu and are off sick, then setting cover work or checking that cover work has been set etc.

To be honest, I would have thought your best bet would be to go and make friends with the maths (and science if they don't have separate heads of biology, chemistry and physics plus any other department or faculty large enough to have seconds) second in department and see what their targets/duties are as that will give you an idea of what your school expects and then you can customise them to the needs and priorities of your department, if that makes sense.

4. Daredevil111

Most thorough answers. Thanks for sharing.

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Do you mean you’re an assistant headteacher or a 2nd in charge of the English dept?

6. Daredevil111

2nd in charge of dept in English

7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Would probably expect a couple of targets related to your own class teaching and one related to department outcomes.

8. install

install Star commenter

Pm is so different in many schools. Its often a bit of a game. But usually it will be related to your role eg Headteacher, Deputy Head, Assistant Head, HOD, 2ic, 3ic and so on.

It may depend in your case what your TLR is for. Your Departmental role. Are you accountable for a Key Stage and its results? That would be typical for ecample.Then maybe a class you teach and then maybe a cpd target - assuming 3 in all.

But PM is largely a joke in many schools now. Some deputies and Assistant Heads may not even be part of PM - nudge, nudge, wink, wink in some schools . For others the targets are impossible (low school finances and all that) or way too easy (everyone gets their targets).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Daredevil111 likes this.