1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assistant Head / Deputy Head

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by poet, Jan 25, 2011.

1. poet

poet New commenter

Hello all

I am in a position where I want to take the next step up on the old career ladder and am not sure what option - if any - is the best one.
    I am currently a middle leader in primary school, been teaching for 6 years, held a lit co post for 2 and now a phase leader. I am responsible for assessing data and tracking pupil progress, aps, app etc., deploying staff, intervention, observations, assessment,the list goes on. I am confident that an assistant head job wouldn't be too much of a stretch - clearly depending on the role itself - and am wondering whether a deputy head position would be too much or a challenge worth taking on?
    I know that schools will vary and positions vary but just wondered what people thought and whether they think go and try or hold your horses...
    Thanks!!

2. cornflake

cornflake Occasional commenter

It's worth bearing in mind that as deputy, you may have to step up after only a few days in the role. If you are not ready for this, keep building up experience/get an AHT post, until you are.
    BTW: I've been teaching 16 years and have only just got my first Deputy post. Have you got a breadth of experience? Have you had to lead staff through challenging times? You may well be ready, so why not apply and see - after all - it's the interview panel who will decide!

3. poet

poet New commenter

Aw, thanks very much for replying!
    Decided that yep a dep head role might be a jump too far for now and have just this second sent off the assistant head application form. Yikes! fingers crossed :)