1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assistant Head? Deputy Head? What is the difference?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by minnieminx, Feb 3, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

A post has come up that I'm sort of interested in, but it is for assistant head, not deputy head. Reading the job description it sounds as if it is simply a SENCO job with a voice on SLT. Would it be worth pursuing this as a part of a route ultimately to headship, or would it be more a post to enjoy leadership at that level but no higher?

In terms of running the school what is the difference between deputy head and assistant head? The school (primary) already has a deputy head and I wonder about the politics of having one of each. Who is ultimately responsible int he head's absence?

Apologies if I sound a bit clueless, this is my first foray into the next level of leadership and I was expecting to simply apply for deputy headship, and then in about 5-10 years headship. Assistant head (that seems to be just SENCO and taking assemblies) has confused me a little.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you very much. AHT does seem like the way to go for now then. More teaching allocation is a good thing, I'm not at all ready to totally give up a class yet. I think the post in question is expected to have a 2 or 3 day teaching allocation, so that would suit me fine.

Discussion...have started to do that this week. Decision making is harder than talking about it though!

But thank you for the advice, useful and informative.

3. It's becoming more common for the SENCO role to be at AHT level. SENCOs are expected to have much more of a strategic role rather than an operational one. Typically this would involve analysis of data and monitoring progress of SEN/D pupils, engaging parents etc.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Really? I had no idea. But yes the HT did say he wanted it to become a more strategic role, etc, etc.

I'm not applying in the end for all kinds of reasons, but it isn't the post for me.

I shall probably be back later in the year with other questions on a similar theme though!