1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assistant head / Dept Head jobs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CB123, Feb 17, 2011.

1. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Hi
    Im just looking for a bit of info.
    Im currently ( and have been for 4 years) a leading teacher paid with a TLR and am ready to move on jobs.
    Im happy to stay at TLR role or move up to assistant head or Dept head (in a small school). However, I am still wanting to teach in a class.
    In my school the assistant heads and Dept head dont have a class and just cover PPA, which does not appeal to me. I was just wondering what happens in your school. Does your SMT teach or not?

2. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Hi
    Im just looking for a bit of info.
    Im currently ( and have been for 4 years) a leading teacher paid with a TLR and am ready to move on jobs.
    Im happy to stay at TLR role or move up to assistant head or Dept head (in a small school). However, I am still wanting to teach in a class.
    In my school the assistant heads and Dept head dont have a class and just cover PPA, which does not appeal to me. I was just wondering what happens in your school. Does your SMT teach or not?

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

If you moved to a small school, you'd definately be teaching as d.h. or even head. We are a five class school. The deputy teaches full time in class and the head does 3 days in class. 2 days management time for her.
    I would seriously consider a dh role in a small school as the responsibility and workload is horrendous due to a small staff. Perhaps moving to a larger school first would be an easier transition.

4. QFE

QFE New commenter

I would agree with greta (assuming a 'wouldn't' in secon para). It finished me off... Whereas my old oppo got a position in a two form entry school and, though difficult, is thriving and is being 'head-hunted' for greater things.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm with you in looking for that next move to AH or DH, but not yet willing to give up a class entirely.

However hard, I think a small school, of which there are lots around here, would be the way to go for me.