1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assistant Head back to teacher

Discussion in 'Governors' started by racchel, Apr 20, 2011.

1. What's worrying me is that I'm applying for teaching posts now rather than AH posts and it may look suspicious that I'm taking a step back.

2. Exactly - to have achieved AST means you have highly developed teaching skills. Assistant Head roles, when I have seen them working effectively, have been merely 'administrative/management' roles, but the sort of administration that requires professional teaching knowledge to carry out (i.e. those roles which no matter how good a school admin staff you have, they couldn't carry out the roles).
    You sounds like you were a square peg in a round hole. Your best aim would surely to be to aim for a teaching headship (i.e. a small school) and ensure you appoint a good assistant head - i.e. one whose strengths lie in administration! this would leave you free to ensure a school vision based on teaching excellence.
    For any teacher who makes the same mistake, there is provision for automatic transfer to the Upper Pay Spine to someone who has previously had a leadership team role and has given it up.