1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assistant/Deputy headteacher role

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by anon2799, Apr 14, 2012.

1. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

personally I'd expect a deputy to have experience of two or more key stages. As deputy you'll probably be responsible for curriculum, and possibly for a sats year group (though not necessarily) if you're leading on teaching and learning (which deputies do) then you'll have more credibility with a wider range of experience. Would you feel confident to advise a y6 teacher on curriculum and classroom management?
    that's my personal opinion, others may disagree.

2. I tend to agree with curlygirly on this one. If you don't meet the essential requirements do you think you would be the best person for the position? I am in a similar situation myself at work. We are due to launch a post 16 unit this year, most likely after the summer holiday and I am putting myself forward for the role of Post 16 Coordinator. I currently meet all of the criteria for this role bar one. I currently do not teach Functional English and this is a requirement of the post. I have recently attended a training session for this course through AQA and I am collating teaching resources with a view to begin teaching it in September. I think it's great that you have the ambition and drive to progress in the profession, there are far too may unambitious teachers out there, but I also think you would serve yourself better by gaining the essential skills you need before applying for the post. You don't want to end up in a position where you are turned down for a post and consequently have your confidence knocked. I hope it works out for you - good luck.

3. Good advice from frannysing, it's good to be ambitious and aim for it but at the minute I would say you would be extremley unlikely to get Assistant/Deputy job without the KS1/KS2 experience, SATs experience and other management opportunities within a schoo