1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assignments

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by mousey1394, Apr 12, 2019.

1. mousey1394

mousey1394 New commenter

2. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Oh - I love how she dropped her daughter in it too! 'She explained that, at the time, she was also assisting her daughter by checking and correcting her university degree work, and had inadvertently adopted a similar approach to her pupils’ work.'

She is named in the GTCS hearing and they have their rationale for naming teachers and publishing details (something about transparency...). Apart from stuff that physically or emotionally harms pupils, I think cheating for them is probably the most unprofessional thing you can do as a teacher. I've heard people defending over-marking of folio work because some pupils are so disadvantaged that they need the extra help and are competing with privileged pupils whose work will be also be over-marked by private tutors. I absolutely see where they are coming from and sympathise but it's still cheating. Would you sit the actual exam for the kids if you could get away with it? Would you change marks on the SQA system if you could without getting caught?

3. micgbanks

micgbanks Occasional commenter

Its simple......go outwith the guidelines of the SQA ssignment and you will find yourself at the end of a school investigation guided by SQA fillwed potentiall by a hearing at the GTCS.

I know schools whose teachers mark the assignment and write their comments on removable post it notes while giving the assignment back to the kids for correction. Completely out of order, unprofessional and unfair to all of the other schools and kids who follow the rules.

I was part of a discussion where my schools SLT asked the faculty why our average assignment mark was 1.6 marks below the national average and what we were going to do about it. Said member of SLR was promptly told where to go. I'm not cheating for anybody. If caught it's the teachers reputation that's on the line not the manager.

I know of schools where faculties are being put under pressure to ensure (fair or foul) that assignment marks are as high as possible. The assignments should be binned. The exams were elongated by 30 minutes when the unit assessments were binned. Any skills from the Assignment could have been incorporated into that extra 30 minutes and the assignments binned. It would be a much fairer way to do it. Some pupils are getting much better assignment results because their parents can afford a tutor, surly that's just not fair.

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

This is exactly why assignments have disappeared in England. Schools cannot be trusted not to cheat.
    The pressure is always put on the teacher to cheat hence their disappearance.

Marisha likes this.
  5. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Established commenter

Assignments need banned. Immediately.

Why?

1. Cheating is widespread. As outlined by many posts above. Go onto Twitter and you'll find many teachers stupid enough to go on the record saying "hand in your drafts/redrafts"
    2. In many subjects they are simply rote learning tasks. They don't do anything different from an exam.
    3. They further increase the attainment gap. Middle class parents can afford tutors to get their kids well prepped for the write up stage (and in some case to write it for them). Poorer weans can't.
    4. Increase teacher workload. Including all the admin tasks associated with them, bagging them up, checking registers, for absolutely no recompense.
    5. Increase teacher workload (2). Many senior kids will simply vote with their feet and not show up when the write up is organised. It's left to the teacher to chase them and get them to do it, and the response of SMT is "Och, just let them do it, they had a wee cold". Teachers are left with a class to teach and kids to get an assignment completed - you can't be in 2 places at once.
    6. Marking standards are all over the place.

Abolish them now and put any money saved into an exam for N4.

Marisha, inthered, bigjimmy2 and 2 others like this.
  6. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

It’s bad, sure. You shouldn’t be doing it. But when the teacher has been teaching the kids for a year, two years, maybe the kid’s whole school career and then the kid fails an internally set (and marked by the teacher who set it) piece of work, it’s easy to see why this happens.

Then there may be parental pressure. FacHead pressure. Peer pressure. All sorts of stuff like that - bottom line? Someone outwith the school marks anything deemed important enough to count towards a final mark, and preferably the assessment is sat outwith the teacher’s sphere of influence.

This was understood back in the day. Who thought it was a bright idea to put such temptation in the hands of teachers who are trying to do their best (albeit in a misguided way) for the kids they teach? Madness.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  7. Gavster77

Gavster77 New commenter

Are we kidding ourselves that this isn't rife across Scotland? In fact I know hundreds of teachers who ape this practice and don't even know their breaching GTCS.

Marisha, micgbanks and bigjimmy2 like this.
  8. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

A former head when I told him that we could not give the kids extra help and directed him to the coursework advice on the SQA website: 'Oh, but you have to read between the lines.'

Piece of excrement.