1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assignment switching

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by allisonfitch67, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Ok, so here it is...I am K-12 certified in special education and have been teaching for 25 years. I also am permanently certified as a teacher of the speech & hearing handicapped. In September I will be starting a new assignment at a new building. Thing is, this will be my third change in 3 years. Last year I was in high school, this year in 4th grade, and next year, kindergarten. I'm not quite sure how to take this. Are my admins dissatisfied and don't know what to do with me? Or do my qualifications make me easy to place when staffing issues arise? I also spent 9 years in middle school in this district. My observations have been mostly good, with an occasional lower rating here and there. I have also had problems with staff members bullying/harassing me in the past, which led to my reporting them (her) to admin. If there is anything serious going on, I am completely unaware of it, but the powers-that-be at my district have been known to be underhanded about such things. Any thoughts?

2. patrice_klitz

patrice_klitz New commenter

It depends on how you know that your district is actually being "underhanded" You appear to be skilled at many areas in your school and it is possible that they would like to see you work your "magic" in other areas.

In all sincerity, you need to communicate with your direct supervisor. Explain your concerns and what you are worried about. He/She will prove non-verbal cues immediately. If you do not see a non-verbal response, simply wait for an answer. Do not write a script or prepare in any way. Be yourself and make sure that whatever response you get, that you are willing and able to handle it.

Then act on any advice they give you. Chances are, you are worried for nothing. But, no matter what you are worried about at work, go sit down with your closest supervisor.