1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assignment ideas please! (School-based enquiry)

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by csmith3, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Hi,
    I'm doing the Primary GTP and my current assignment is a school based enquiry. I have to research the effectiveness of a strategy used in school, or trial something new. I can choose any subject area or school issue to look at but I'm just feeling a bit stuck for ideas as I could do anything really!
    Just wondering if anyone has done this sort of assignment in the past and could tell me what they researched/trialled? Just briefly to give me a little inspiration maybe.
    Thanks!

2. Hi,
    I'm doing the Primary GTP and my current assignment is a school based enquiry. I have to research the effectiveness of a strategy used in school, or trial something new. I can choose any subject area or school issue to look at but I'm just feeling a bit stuck for ideas as I could do anything really!
    Just wondering if anyone has done this sort of assignment in the past and could tell me what they researched/trialled? Just briefly to give me a little inspiration maybe.
    Thanks!

3. Hi, what age are you supposed to look at? I'm asking that as I have recently done an assignment where I observed the current role play area (home corner), assessed the levels of problem solving/collaboration/language opportunities etc, then as my observations showed little of any of these, I took all the objects out and replaced them with open-ended resources, like boxes, crates, sheets, bulldog clips, clothes horses etc and then observed them again. The results were fantastic - the children displayed far more skills than before.

4. Thanks for your ideas. I'm based in KS2 so not sure if I could use something like that, but appreciate your comments! Thank you.

5. Hi,
    I'm a second year student on the BA programme. I am currently on a school placement in a really effective school and have realised just how important behaviour management strategies are. Behaviour management has massive implications for both your teaching and the children's learning outcomes. You could even track certain groups of disaffected pupils and assess the effect on their learning of different strategies.
    Hope this is useful. Good luck!

6. P.S I'm in KS2 in a mixed year 3/4 class. The school has vertical year grouping throughout, so that's one of my key issues for this placement - it has huge implications for my lesson planning!

7. LoobyLouLou

LoobyLouLou New commenter

I was considering looking at the Literacy goes MADD project. Where are you? Would be nice to compare results / ideas,e tc.

8. South Cheshire. I'm a student teacher and was inspired by the project. Once I've completed my NQT (assuming I get a job!) then I would like to get involved in this kind of project. My own children children (11 year old twin boys) weren't into reading in a big way until going into year 6. I have always read to them so it isn't lack of exposure at home. They both discovered books that switched them on to reading. One was Urgum the Axeman and the other, one of the Astrosaurus books (for younger readers really, but now he is reading Twilight!).
    Sorry to waffle but I love books.

9. Hi, I'm a Second Year Primary Education student and I am looking into Literacy goes MADD as part of my dissertation.
    I have been searching for more information about the scheme but I can't seem to find anything useful. Could you suggest anything types of books, websites or references I could read which might help my dissertation research?
    Thank you.
    Pepe Kelly