1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asset tags - secure tags

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by all_heart, Jul 4, 2012.

1. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

Hi all, we have currently brought into ipads and note books (a previous post that caused great debate!!!) I was sent a leaflet today about asset tags for security and someone said it's an area we need to look into. From what I can see they are bar coded labels that some one can peel off if they steal the equipment. Do they work or a waste of money? I have sent off for a few free samples to see one but thought I'd see what the norm is. (We are an infant school)
    Cheers

2. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

Hi all, we have currently brought into ipads and note books (a previous post that caused great debate!!!) I was sent a leaflet today about asset tags for security and someone said it's an area we need to look into. From what I can see they are bar coded labels that some one can peel off if they steal the equipment. Do they work or a waste of money? I have sent off for a few free samples to see one but thought I'd see what the norm is. (We are an infant school)
    Cheers

3. Try Smartwater:

http://www.smartwater.tv/pages/business.aspx?viewing=business&pid=12

use of this should also reduce your insurance premiums.

4. Smart Water is definitely something that we are investigating and looks good (didn't realise about the insurance - I'll get our bursar to check this).

We've found that Seareach asset tags, with their over laminates protection has given us a good enough deterrent and stuck well to the Apple iPads / computers etc we've got. Just make sure that the surface is clean and there's no greasy fingermarks, and press them on hard to get them to stick properly.

Did you leave them on for long enough? Apparently a good day, or so is the best method. We only ordered 500, but these are not cheap if you go for smaller orders. Andy at Seareach was really good and managed to supply these next day from our PO. That's good service!

The others we found were Seton, but they were twice the price of Seareach.

5. Try http://assetlabelsforschools.co.uk/
    They are a dedicated site for schools. Great quality and the best value we could find on the net for durable good quality asset labels.We trialled them and will be re ordering.

6. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

"A friend of mine" tells me they are a real *** to get off fully and make a mess doing so.
    This substantially reduces their second hand value apparently [​IMG]

7. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Did you consider chemical etching? I have a kit for my motorbike from DataTag which has a chemical for the screen and mirrors.
    Just a thought.

8. We need to remove some of the Seareach tags from the IT equipment we marked up as we're getting rid of some of it. Has anyone got any tips for removing these? We've tried methelayted spirits, but that smells and take a long time to do.

Short of a hammer and chisel, what do you recommend?