1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asset languages-can anyone explain how it works?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sking07, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, I've been asked to look into this at my school and am really confused about how it works. I'm finding it hard to work it out from the website. As far as I can see there are no schemes of work or contexts or anything to give an indication of what they need to know in order to pass. Do they have to do all four skills? I don't understand what qualification they get either. Being very dense so would be delighted if anyone could enlighten me!!!
    Thanks in advance for any help :)

2. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

You can choose to test any skills you wish at any of the levels. Intermediate level is equivalent to Higher Tier GCSE, for example. You can use their externally acredited tests and they offer a nmber of "windows" each year when you can do them. Alternatively you can use teacher assessment, which is cheaper, but not externally accredited.
    You choose the level to maximise the success for pupils.
    We used Breakthrough Listening and Reading for pupils who had done 5 months of German and Spanish and that was fine. Wedod externally accredited exams the first year, then teacher assessed the second. I preferred the external exams. OCR run the whole thing.
    The tests are well constructed and pre-tested. There is no "syllabus" as such. The tests vary depending on whether they are aimed at younger children, secondary or adult learners. The content resembvles what you would see in other exams like GCSE.
    I used to find the web site not the easiest to navigate, but I believe the info is all there.