1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

assessments observations and profiles! please help

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by workaholic1985, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Hi
    i am new to reception this year and have a rather challenging class. I have been trying to get my head around the EYFS and child intitiated activities etc.
    I have a few questions (if anyone can help)

1) I have read on lots of posts people mentioning initial and baseline assessments that are completed in the first weeks. What are these?

2) how much evidence do you put into the childrens folders? and what form does it normally take? e.g. post its work samples photographs
    thank you

2. hurny

hurny New commenter

Baseline/on entry assessments are taken from observations you make of the children when they start your class/setting.You will need to observe the children in your class when they come in (can take up to 6 weeks) and make a judgement where each child is in the 6 areas of learning. I also use information from the previous setting and the parents to help with my 'on entry' judgements.
    Some schools require it so they can see the 'value added' from 'entry' to 'exit'.
    With regards to observations, there are numerous threads on the early years forum about collecting evidence, just look back a few weeks.

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/507435/6928881.aspx#6928881

3. Hi workaholic

Baseline assessments can be used for several reasons:

- they are good for you, so that you can see the starting point of where the children are at. For example, in Year 1, we always assess the basics such as number formation, writing numbers to 10 and beyond, ordering numbers, shape naming and recognition, writing their name, or more if they can, phonic knowledge and high frequency word recognition.

- they could also be used if you should for some reason disagree with the level of a child, for example, if they have 5 profile points for writing but you assess them and they only achieve three of them, then you have evidence to show this.

- the end of year results are used at the beginning of the following year to predict their next end of year targets. If you should have a baseline that shows the child is unlikely to meet the predicted targets then you could flag this up when you have your pupil progress meeting.

- you can see children's progression from your baseline assessments to those done at the end of term.

I hope this helps you and good luck with your new class

4. If you search in the resources section, there are a couple of really good 'entry booklets' - I've pick n mixed from these so I now have something to use as a baseline assessment for CLL / PSRN / and phonics.Not sure how to cover PD, other than to observe them during PE / outdoor activities and do art activites for CD.Clueless about PSED / KUW baselines though.

5. Why not simply use the development matters statements and age bands to assess the children? This will give an idea of where they are and whether or not they are working within the expected age band. Why increase your workload and use anything else?