1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment

Discussion in 'Independent' started by misslingo, Sep 18, 2020.

1. misslingo

misslingo New commenter

Hello I just wondered what assessment info Prep schools pass on to parents and how often? It is difficult as the reason many parents choose Prep schools is for their kids to pass entrance exams etc yet often they dont receive any info on the way as to how their children are doing. Any thoughts?

2. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

Teaching, assessing and reporting and three totally different jobs, and as you say, parents choose prep schools for their teaching towards entrance exams.

3. misslingo

misslingo New commenter

Yes but question was with the assessments that schools do for their own progress reports etc. What should be reported to parents

4. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

what I mean is, you either want teachers to spend their time teaching, or you want them to be assessing and reporting. If you want to know how your child is doing with regards to entrance exams, give them a mock.

Entrance exams have very little content. There are far more important things to be learning about in school. This is why state schools don't teach the 11+ at all.Too many other things to teach.

A teacher cannot foretell how your child will do in an entrance exam. A teacher can only go so far "teaching" how to pass an entrance exam, that is aptitude based.

Prep schools are schools. You send your child to one because you judge that your child will be happy there, and learn well there, not because they will be taught how to pass an 11+ there, which firstly cannot be taught, secondly which can be prepared for at home as well as anywhere, and which will get in the way of the actual learning

5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

The prep schools that I have known personally or via friends' children are like any other schools. They have parents' evenings and send out reports at the end of the year. If you want to know how your child is doing, ask the teacher.
    Re how often, the one I worked in had a parents' evening in the Autumn and Spring terms and an annual report at the end of the year.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

WOW! Some odd answers here.
    Each and every part of this is soooooooo far from being true in a great many prep schools.

We do INCAs tests in the first few weeks of September and results are shared with parents. (EYFS do slightly different, but similar tests) these give a good indication of potential and results are in the form of reading age, spelling age, mental maths age and so on.
    We have teacher assessment on the half terms which goes to parents on grade cards. This is just a teacher's idea of attainment based on classwork.
    We do end of term assessments each term and results are on the end of term reports. These are from school tests, not standardised, but usually from a published scheme.
    This is across the school from nursery to year 6.

Year 4 and 5 also do 11+ lessons and results from tests are shared with parents on half term grade cards and term reports.
    Year 6 have lessons with teaching and practice of entrance exams for independent senior schools in the local area. Results of assessments are shared with parents in autumn and spring half term grade cards and term report cards.

asnac and jarndyce like this.
  7. misslingo

misslingo New commenter

Thanks yes this is what I am talking about. I think its abit naive to think prep schools are " like any other schools" and also to think that parents send their kids there for fun and pay fees. Of course they want their child to hopefully go to a selective secondary school, so of course they want to know their progress through at least ks2...

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I agree.

9. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Our school uses PTEs, PTMs, CATs, 11+ papers and topic tests and reports all results to parents.

The meaningful reporting on entrance exam chances take place in discussions and meetings with parents though, not in reporting of data.