1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by annahoulihan, Jul 21, 2019.

1. annahoulihan

annahoulihan New commenter

Hi everyone,
    Can I ask if any of you use a regular computerised/ paper assessment with your students?
    If so which ones do you use? Just something I’m thinking of and want to make the right choice.
    Thanks Anna

2. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

What subject do you teach and what age? I teach Maths. I ask my year 11s to do exam papers every week. Year 10 about once every half-term. I often give mixed topic homework which I gives an idea of the topics they haven't retained. I also used eedi. Which is a free website where you can set quizzes. For primary level I use the circumlum guide and rate the students below, expected, above. But I don't formally test primary students.

3. annahoulihan

annahoulihan New commenter

I teach primary and key stage 3 in English and Maths. I too have just used the curriculum and this has been fine for the past five years. A parent was questioning me last week as I think lots of programmes such as explore learning regularly assess. Got me thinking . Appreciate your reply

4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I teach older students, GCSE and A level. I never do any formal assessments although I do of course get them to do past papers as we approach exam time. As an experienced tutor who spends an hour one-to-one each week with the student I have a very good idea of how they are progressing and what grade they are likely to attain. I am there to help them not to test them. Most of them already seem to do an excessive number of tests at school.

Explore Learning is all computer based. Many of the "tutors" are 6th formers and the children probably don't see the same tutors each time they go, so they need to do regular assessments. If you are happy with what you are doing I would stick with it and tell the parent they don't need regular formal assessments as you already have a very good idea what level the child is working at. If they mention Explore Learning, point out the things I've said.

BG54 likes this.
  5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I teach languages. For GCSE I sometimes get them to do one of the written questions for homework and then in the lesson show them the mark scheme and ask them to identify how their work fits the mark scheme. That way they can see what it required for each grade etc and also what they need to do to improve
    But no, I don't just ask them to sit a past paper in the lesson. That's not what I'm being paid for. Sometimes if they've said they struggle on a particular type of question then we'll look at a few of those.
    I often find asking them what they feel they'd most benefit from in the hour that we have gets the best results