1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment - rising stars? active primary?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by peterabbit, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Wonder if anyone can help me with assessment. Have been looking at Rising Stars assessment to implement for whole school in eng, maths and sci.

Has anyone used these and if so what do you think?

Am rather concerned that it is very paper based and was wondering if anyone had thought of adapting them to make them into Activ Prim flipcharts? Does this sound like a sensible idea or am i fumbling about in the dark?!

Any advice wud be much appreciated. Thx.

2. Wonder if anyone can help me with assessment. Have been looking at Rising Stars assessment to implement for whole school in eng, maths and sci.

Has anyone used these and if so what do you think?

Am rather concerned that it is very paper based and was wondering if anyone had thought of adapting them to make them into Activ Prim flipcharts? Does this sound like a sensible idea or am i fumbling about in the dark?!

Any advice wud be much appreciated. Thx.

3. I did Rising stars with Yr 1's today. I showed the paper on the whiteboard, read the questions to them ( in most cases) and they wrote the answers on their own papers. we then went through the questions together on the whiteboard and they marked their own answers. They loved it! ( in fact they made me go and get a second paper so they could have another go!)

4. Used Science assessments in year 3 & 5. They give you a sub level - which looks good, but I am not convinced yet how accurate they are. They are very paper based but I am not sure how you would put them into Activprimary. I am sure Rising Star will send a preview copy, for you to look at even I suppose test.

5. Thanks for your comments it's really useful to find out what other people think.

The reason I said Activ Prim was because I have also just installed the Activ Prim MV resources onto my laptop which are ready made flipcharts to use with activ votes. These just give you a raw score tho not a sub level. In my own dreamy world I was thinking how great it would be if you could use activ votes for assessment, which would give you a sub-level, which you could then export into excel and on into sims. Have I been drinking too much wine?

6. Problem with using activ vote - Is that they are multiply choice questions. This does lead to an inflation of raw score.

Must say I love using my voters.

7. Yes I was using the Rising Stars for Literacy and Maths last week; been marking over the weekend and am a little unsure as to how accurate they are. Really handy having the sub-levels though. Anyone using the Science Rising Stars assessments? The Science co-ordinator was asking only today about the possibility of getting this!

8. We use rising stars maths, english and science assessment. Across the whole school. We really like it and it seems fairly accurate. You can get the tests on CD-ROM or in book form. You could use the CR-ROM versions on the interactive whiteboard. I think it's a really good assessment scheme. The english ones give child friendly targets which are very useful.

9. missied

missied New commenter

We must use an old version of rising stars as I haven't seen a Cd rom. Will ask tomorrow.
    At the moment we only use it for literacy. I'm not sure about the accuracy but in terms of having a sub level it's useful particularly for the reading. It's also good that it gives ideas for a short & long writing task.

10. We purchased our version in Septmeber. It's been updated for the new framework. You can choose between the CD-ROM or book. We went for the book in the end.

11. I dont think rising stars are very accurate nor do I think they are very good.

One mark makes a sublevel and some questions are very dodgy and some inaccurate.

Having said that, there is nothing better so far.

12. Does this mean you all use test results as assessments and to track pupil progress? I find most tests give inaccurate results for at least some of the children. Anyone else find this or is it just me?

I'm not saying that we shouldn't use them, just that they should inform our judgements rather than concretely decide them. Was considering purchasing rising stars as an alternative to past papers, but also think we should be using other pieces of evidence to inform our judgements and am reluctant to spend money on it if it will encourage teachers to over-rely on test results.

13. Evidence must be collected to support each child's level assessment. This is in the form of the rising star tests and in class work. Each child has an assessment record.

14. We use tests for maths and a writing assessment. If the levels from those don't fit with the child's class work we go with TA (but the tests are helpful as a guide, and the writing assessments can be moderated). We don't test for science and reading, just go with what we've done in class.

15. No, for us, a test is a fun way of finishing off the term! i want to keep it that way so that , heaven help us, when they have to sit their sats test in Y2 it isn't worrying. Mine love tests! I asked them whether they would like to do a test or go out to play early and they chose the test! We don't use the results to "level" the children but use them as part of our evidence gathering process.

16. We use Rising Stars in Science and Maths as of this week! I have tested my 3/4s on the y4 science unit Friction and the language etc was above and beyond even my average. Our Y1/2 are not using the science becuase of the layout/language accessibility issues. We didn't purchase the Lit ones as we felt they weren't value for money as we don't formally level writing as much as the tests expect.
    The yr3 maths was great (only done A) the year 4 awfully hard. I'm not 100% happy but they are much better than the Belair science tests we used previously and the Heinneman maths tests which didn't fit with NNS or new framework.
    Our results from tests are to be entered onto our extensive and complicated tracking systme but I don't feel they truly represent my children this term.
    HTH
    Vegas

17. Yes must admit that in my Y4/5 group I thought both Autumn B papers were difficult; the results backed this up!! Quite amazing though how a Year 5 child with 36% can achieve a 4c in the maths test!!

This term has been a trial period using Rising Stars, still not overly happy with them, but as already mentioned, there really doesn't appear to be anything better...unless my research has not been extensive enough!

18. Hi there. I work for Rising Stars and am on this thread gathering feedback for our Rising Stars Assessment products.

Just wanted to let you know that in response to the comments posted here, and feedback from trialling schools, we updated our Rising Stars Assessment materials (English, Maths and Science) in 2008. We are also bringing out new updated editions this year.

Many thanks to all who left comments - they are really useful to help us to understand what teachers need.

If anyone has any further feedback after using RS Assessment, I am happy to provide an email address.