1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment - particularly looking for feedback from experienced teachers..

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alycatrow, Sep 14, 2018.

1. alycatrow

alycatrow New commenter

If you had completely free rein, but needed to formally assess a child’s progress on an annual basis, how would you do it?

I am a (now unemployed) secondary maths teacher teaching my 9 year autistic child at home due to his severe school phobia. He has significant special needs but also a very spiky profile due to severely impaired language/communication skills but above age typical cognitive skills. I am teaching all over the curriculum from early years to KS2. It is highly individual and atypical. It is going extremely well, but as ever I need to prove this.

I personally feel that in terms of assessment, the new curriculum completely overlooked children with special needs and is not fit for purpose for them. I feel much more comfortable using the old NC levels - but is this just familiarity? Is there a better way?

I do need to demonstrate in a quantifiable way the progress he is making for outside purposes but to my mind I can do it anyway I like. I don’t mind spending time on it - I only have one child - but If I have to do something, I want it to be meaningful.

What do you suggest?
    Outside the box responses welcome!
    Apologies if I am not completely au fait with the correct jargon but hopefully you know what I mean.

2. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

"B squared" is an assessment tool for children with SEND. They will soon being releasing an assessment for Social Emotional and Mental Health which might be useful for a child with ASD.

alycatrow likes this.
  3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

when I trained we were allowed to trust our professional judgement!
    For Maths a termly "test" pretty much told me all I need to know. Have to say it threw up very very few surprises once I had a bit of experience. Really doubt it is worth the time and marking time spent on it in most cases. Actually a 20 question tables test often ranked the class just as well!
    intrigued by B squared mentioned above, love to know more.
    Totally agree, the current system just tells some parents that their child is below expected for their entire time at school.
    The levels allowed everyone to see that they were making progress, albeit from a lower or higher starting position.

re showing progress, there is an emphasis on pupil books in inspections. So his work, edited and improved by him with and without your help shows progress over time! Equally so if produced on a computer.

alycatrow likes this.
  4. alycatrow

alycatrow New commenter

Thanks, I had a look but it is a school product and too expensive for me.

5. alycatrow

alycatrow New commenter

I completely agree with Maths. I used to do a basic algebra test at the beginning of the A level course. It had an exceptionally strong correlation with A level results.

It does actually come down to people not accepting my judgement, to put it mildly. But producing shiny numbers will help as everyone believes in those without question. I think I will use the old levels, as I can. Thanks for the help.

6. DFC

DFC New commenter

The WRH maths resources on TES might help. They have termly assessment tests which you could use.

You could also look at the RWM assessment grids Y1 -Y6 on Tanfield Leas website by googling their name followed by assessment. You need to scroll right to the bottom of the page. It is not my school or in my LEA either so no conflicts for me.

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

put the figures into Excel, use the "conditional formatting" button to colour it all in in pretty colours and the management will all fall over themselves to tell you how great your data analysis is. In my experience lots of senior staff cannot use a spreadsheet at all, b.**** baffles brains and all that malarkey.