1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment Only Route to QTS

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Hinglepops, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Hinglepops

Hinglepops New commenter

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate some advice.

I am currently in the process of collecting my standards evidence folder to submit along with my application for the assessment only route. I was wondering if there was anybody out there who has done route, and can tell me what the actual assessment period will involve? I can't seem to get much information out of the university about it. I am aware that people from the uni will come and observe me, and I will have an interview beforehand to gauge my suitability, but is that it?

Thanks!

Hannah

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Fundamentally the process depends upon the university providing the service- as a customer you ( or the school ) are paying for this, so they should provide you with the answers to your questions. Essentially you provide a portfolio of work related to Teaching Standards that shows you have sufficient evidence to meet the standards. The judgement is then made by the assessor. The number of visits and checks varies.
    One of the problems with assessment only is as the name implies it does not include the sort of additional support and guidance you would expect -and get from other ITT routes.

Pomza and wanet like this.
  3. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

"One of the problems with assessment only is as the name implies it does not include the sort of additional support and guidance you would expect -and get from other ITT routes. " The reason for this is that this route is for experienced teachers. I got my QTS through AO route 4 years ago. I completed this in 8 weeks with outstanding, and completed a fast track induction NQT in one term because of my experience.

4. welshwizard

Unfortunately assessment only is sometimes being used with teachers without the requisite experience as a cost cutting measure to gain QTS!

5. JosianeSandy

JosianeSandy New commenter

I am about to send off my AO application form, and I'm not sure of how many evidence they need per teaching Standard, and what type (on what form perhaps). How did you manage to prepare your portfolio before applying?

6. welshwizard

Essentially you need the specific guidance from your AO provider as they are the ones who are assessing it- as a rule of thumb most ITT providers tend to look for 3 examples of evidence- but ultimately it is the quality of the evidence that is as important as the amount.

7. lboylan1990

lboylan1990 New commenter

What university are you completing your AO? Have you a completed and up to date portfolio prepared before applying ? I'm a little confused at the procedure .

8. JosianeSandy

I was confused too at the start. I am now in touch with the University of Bedfordshire through my school contact, and they have given me guidelines of what evidence to provide in my portfolio. I aim to have collected most of my evidence before Christmas, then gather a few more statements, mentoring and observation forms the following term before applying.... Long process to put together my portfolio, I'm not finished yet, but it should be worthwhile to gain QTS! Good luck with your journey through AO.

9. katielouisemc

katielouisemc New commenter

Hi, I have my initial visit with the UoB next week. I've put together my portfolio but I've had no guidance as to what it should have so I've done what I think is right - would you be happy sharing any further guidance you've had with me? :)

10. JosianeSandy

Sure. I've sent you a private message.

11. Hello all,

I am preparing my portfolio for AO route to QTS. I am very much confuse about what n all I should include, any leads ??

12. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

For a start, forget the three pieces of evidence rule. That went out when we moved from 33 standards to 8 with a part two in 2012.

There are 'descriptors' that accompany the standards, the university will supply them to you. They describe the things that they get PGCE students to do over a year. Because you’ve been teaching for several years you won’t have to repeat these but instead gather examples of where you have demonstrated these standards. Simple stuff - marked a set of gcse papers? Take a photocopy of one. Written a SOW? Fab. Put that in. Ran a club? Great stuff. A lot of it can be evidenced by you writing up some of the things you’ve done and a senior manager signing to say that this account is true and valid.

Mind you, if you are one of the large bursary subjects then beware. You are giving up the right to have a year off full time teaching and a monster pay cheque as well as a free PGCE. That’s what AO is. If you are a non bursary subject then it’s a trade off.

13. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

A 'free' PGCE for £9250

14. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Aye, you don’t pay it back. No teacher earns enough to pay it back. After 25 years you still owe tens of thousands. The more you can load it up the more you get free.

15. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

True, but several folk on my course hadn't realised we have to pay the fees - because it's talked of as free. Important distinction really because if you don't apply for student finance you do have to pay it all up front