1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment Only (AO) route to QTS

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by lucybrown, May 4, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I have DTLLS and currently studying an Additional Diploma in Teaching English in the Lifelong Learning Sector (ADTLLS). I need ADTLLS in order to apply for QTLS.
    I'm considering doing Assessment Only (AO) route to QTS to improve my prospects.
    Is this course a good option?
    Is it approved and widely accepted by employers?
    It's been difficult to even get this far? I find it so confusing and now they want to eliminate DTLLS!
    Should do I an MEd?
    May be I should have done PGCE after all.
    Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. Hello,
    I have DTLLS and currently studying an Additional Diploma in Teaching English in the Lifelong Learning Sector (ADTLLS). I need ADTLLS in order to apply for QTLS.
    I'm considering doing Assessment Only (AO) route to QTS to improve my prospects.
    Is this course a good option?
    Is it approved and widely accepted by employers?
    It's been difficult to even get this far? I find it so confusing and now they want to eliminate DTLLS!
    Should do I an MEd?
    May be I should have done PGCE after all.
    Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thank you.

3. Advice will be welcome.
    Thank you.
    L

4. I think you need to decide what you want to teach, who you want to teach it to and where you want to teach them.
    Then try and figure what the best route is to that destination.

5. Sorry about this. For some reason the rest of the message did not follow. [​IMG] I mentioned that I went through the AO route with Bradford B-Nett last year and I was at the time employed as a full time 'unqualified teacher' at a secondary school (my pgce is in post compulsory education). I personally found the gtp ao route quite gruelling as you are expected to fulfill your contractual responsibilities and work on your portfolio in addition to observations every two weeks. It is very intense and I had to go to a second school in my case for extra experience. I can see the benefit but would not recommend this route to you. Sorry if it puts you off but this is a personal experience.

Hope it helps and good luck with your choice.

6. Also I need to mention that some providers will look at whether you have worked for so many years as an 'unqualified' teacher (mine needed a minimum of 2 years) and whether the school/sixth form you are at is a 'good' school so that they can support you through this course and give you the hours. You will need to teach two consecutive key stages (i.e. ks4 and 5) so if you just work at a sixth form then you will need a second school for at least 15 days.