1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

assessment levels

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by belshaw86, Dec 22, 2010.

1. I am studying for the MTL and have just written a report on peer assessment. I have used attainment grades to show the progress made by pupils (3B, 4C etc). I have been asked to show the levels as numbers so these can be put into a graph. Can anyone help with this? I have only ever been aware of the sub levels being A, B or C. I presume they mean 3B would be 3.5 or something similar. What are A and C as decimals?

2. Ic is 7 and the sub-levels go up in twos, so 1b is 9, 1a is 11, 2c is 13 and so on. The reason 1c is 7 is because we used to have Wc (Honestly! But it meant "working towards" the National Curriculum levels) Wc was 1, Wb was 3 and Wa was 5.
    I don't know who decided that the levels would go up in odd numbers in twos, but it can be useful when trying to show progress over relatively short periods of time. Some schools use 1c+=8, 1b+=10 and so on. Originally, in the old PANDA which was the father of RAISEonline out of a computer system called PAT, it was only Level 2 that was split into sub-levels.
    Good luck.

3. The government's position is that there is no correlation between the the two. In fact they say that any attempt to do so is "spurious" and I must say that I agree. I believe it is better to assess a child on the EYFS profile until such time as the child is attaining at a clear National Curriculum level of Ic. At that point you can start measuring progress through the National Curriculum. For many children this may not happen until well into Year 1. Many folk want to measure all children's progress from the beginning of Y1 against NC levels because it makes life tidier when presenting data, but this is not necessary and it is misleading. This doesn't stop teachers looking at profile scores at the end of Reception and using their overall knowledge of the child to predict end of Year 2 levels/targets.

4. pisces77

pisces77 New commenter

Exactly as I thought so why on the ofsted website is there a list of average point scores including foundation stage published with average expectation at the end of year 1 as 1a/2c so thus meaning children only having to make 2 sublevels of progress to reach level 2 at the end of year 2. we have been using the profile points to make assessments of children not currently working at national curriculum levels. I just wish i knew the exact name of the document as i was given a copy and told it was on the ofsted website . Many thanks for your help.

5. You're very welcome.
    I am not aware of any such document on the Ofsted website. If you have an electronic copy, I should be pleased to see it (Please send to johnsearl@notasweknowit.co.uk). The nearest I can think of is the ISP mapping sheet that gives 1b/1a as the expectation for the end of Y1 and 2b/2a at the end of Y2.
    Within the additional guidance for inspectors on the Ofsted website is a document called, "Additional Guidance on Judging Attainment and Achievement" This paragraph is taken from it:
    <font size="2">"The evaluation schedule makes clear that, for all judgements, the grade descriptors and the associated outline guidance should be interpreted in the context of the particular school being inspected. The supplementary guidance explains that professional judgement plays a crucial part when inspectors are interpreting data and when they are confirming initial hypotheses by looking at the school&rsquo;s own data, talking to teachers and pupils and looking at the pupils&rsquo; work. This guidance also suggests how the profile of indicators in RAISEonline gives an initial indication of the general standard of attainment."</font>
    <font size="2">In other words, inspectors (and schools, I think) should use context, professional knowledge and common sense when setting expectation and judging outcomes!</font>
    <font size="2">Good luck!</font>

6. Hi
    Im teaching in a secondary school and was looking at my class target at KS3 which seem very high..

Just wondered how do you work out point from pupils ks2 SAT results?
    I know 3a = 3.75 but how point is each level /sublevel

Thanks

7. banjouk

banjouk New commenter

We use these values in our LA assessment models.
    8a 53
    8a/b 52
    8b 51
    8 51
    8b/c 50
    8c 49
    8c/7a 48
    7a 47
    7a/b 46
    7b 45
    7 45
    7b/c 44