1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment Lesson Plan

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by davidmagrophoto, Apr 1, 2016.

1. davidmagrophoto

davidmagrophoto New commenter

First time post, long time lurker :)

I am in my third year teaching at uni and I am required to create a lesson plan for an assessment.

My lecturer has not responded to me after a three email over two weeks, so I am hoping someone here may help.

I just would like to see what a lesson plan for an assessment would look like. I have chosen a presentation for one of the assessment lesson plans and the other is a lesson plan on a essay-type examination on the whole unit which is 'Search for Better Health' which is stage 6 Biology (year 12).

Doesn't have to be Biology or science, as I don't think subject would matter. Just would like to see an example on how it would look like. I have completed the presentation one, but when I attempt the essay-type one, it seems like there isn't much to write...

My layout consists of equipment, prepared questions, information for pupils, pupil reminder, contribution to syllabus/unit outcome, teach lesson objectives, student learning objective and self evaluation of lesson. Along with that I have to write the steps of how the lesson will flow from start to finish.

Any help would be welcomed.

Thank you

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think pro formas for lesson planning vary from setting to setting but it looks to me in this instance that your task is to produce a plan which identifies opportunities for assessment ? so perhaps you would require a box with headings such as questioning, peer, group, self ( to tick as appropriate ) and detail which strategies you are going to be deploying in the session. These mechanisms then allow you to explore the content ( learning objectives ) and then 'stand back' to ' assess ' whether the success criteria/ brief is / has been met. Listening to students articulate their responses is key and helps you identify any misconceptions. Planning for questions is key but the flow of your lesson will surely be determined by the students ' responses to them and how you adjust your approach. As for the rest and from memory our proforma detailed resources ( equipment/ additional adults ), extension ( which can be via dialogue/ tasks ) , links to next lesson and self supported study ( homework ) . Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if anything not clear.

3. davidmagrophoto

Thanks the quick response minnie me!

I have completed the presentation lesson plan and am now onto the second one which is for an essay-type test which concludes the unit and I am a little stump as it seems there isn't a lot of write in the equipment, prepared questions, information for pupils, homework, pupil reminders, objectives and the structure of the lesson from start to finish (pretty much check attendance, explain the rules of examination, handout papers, observe students, collect papers and leave....but more in-depth.

I only have these headings as it is what the lecturer supplied but will add addition heading to go in-depth as you suggested :)

Can't find examples of what one looks like. I tried uploading the one I have already completed but word files are unable to be uploaded unfortunately.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think for the more specific essay type lesson lesson plan pro forma many of these headings will be surplus to requirement.Are you sure you have interpreted the exercise correctly ? I think you need to ask yourself why this task has been set in the first place and then address. Am not sure what it is someone expects to see unless it 's preparing a lesson about responding to an essay type task ? So does it mean that having 'taught to the test ' ? you provide some prompts, a clear indication of what you are looking for to secure maximum marks ? an essay set as a problem solving exercise ?.....in the real world you, of course, are also being 'tested' on your capacity to have interpreted the unit of work successfully so that your students can ' show what they know' . I must admit writing a lesson plan to merely administer a test seems unusual to say the least but I know not a lot ! Other colleagues may be able to help here .Good Luck.

5. davidmagrophoto

I believe I have to demonstrate to the lecturer I know how to administer an assessment lesson and provide enough information in doing so. I too think it is a little unusual; however, I also need to provide a rational, an overview and a defense alongside the unit plan and lesson plans.

I don't think much is needed in the lesson plan per say, as i think he will be more focused on the rational, defense and unit plan.

I was more curious on the assessment lesson plan as it seems somewhat pointless in the real world as formal sit down assessment speaks for itself.

Thanks for your reply!

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Not much help but my assessment lesson plan says "reading test" or "maths test" or, if I'm feeling particularly expansive, "Grammar test A".

7. davidmagrophoto

Haha yeah that's what I would assume it would look like in the real world; however, I have to provide 'something' for my lecturer.

8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

How can you possibly have 'teach lesson objectives' (a phrase I have issues with anyway) when you aren't teaching, but assessing. Arguably you're teaching them exam technique/what a paper looks like, but really you'd be doing that next lesson in the review.

9. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I don't even bother with that, Carrie! Why write a lesson plan when it isn't a lesson!

I think your lecturer might be a bit strange, David.