1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment in Primary PE

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by x_k8_xxx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. x_k8_xxx

x_k8_xxx New commenter

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted on here before but I'm looking for some advice on how people assess attainment and progress in PE in primary schools. PE is a major part of our School Development Plan this year and my head teacher wants me to bring in a new assessment tool for all of the teachers to use.
    Most people that I have spoken to have said that they don't do any assessment in PE though...

Any help or advice is much appreciated :)

Thank you

2. The-Gaffer

The-Gaffer Occasional commenter

One way is to assess by activity then conceivably average it out or take a best activity approach, allign it with your schools assessment policy

In its most basic it might look something like this:

Swimming 21
    Football 10
    Tag Rugby 15
    Gymnastics 17

So you could average those scores, presents the problem of what if you have an exceptional swimmer who is poor at games? Or a great games player who swims like a brick?

Or assess at the highest level? Well if the swimmer does swimming in half term 1 then they might make no progress for the rest of the year.

If you are based in Birmingham area let me know & I'll cone visit you & give you some help/ideas

stopwatch likes this.
  3. bobbity1234

bobbity1234 New commenter

I can assure you that the best fit model for assessment of progress in primary PE such as this would be regarded as poor practice - where is the alignment with national curriculum and the inherent processes of Learning in PE?

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

What would you suggest instead?

5. stopwatch

Where are you based? I am a recently retired HoD/DoS who has worked in Primary PE for the last 17 years

I am happy to look at how I might be able to help generally with your programme. Save twiddling my thumbs

6. The-Gaffer

The-Gaffer Occasional commenter

Thanks for the positivity

I could actually allign what I wrote with the key stage 1 & 2 national curriculum very easily actually & have many other ways the op could consider assessing in PE and allign those with the NC as well. That's why a physical conversation is the best outcome here so that whatever is put in place suits the schools assessment policy and the users know how to assess against it

stopwatch likes this.
  7. stopwatch

I developed a similar system over the years which worked effectively. The information gained from the assessments had a variety of uses including for detailed reporting (both verbal and written)

8. x_k8_xxx

x_k8_xxx New commenter

I am based in Towcester, Northamptonshire. Is that anywhere near you?

9. stopwatch

I am in South Birmingham.