1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment in primary music

Discussion in 'Primary' started by FCarpenter, Nov 25, 2015.

1. FCarpenter

FCarpenter New commenter

Dear All

Wondered if you could give me an idea of what assessment, if any, in music, goes on in your primary school or early years setting. Could be formal or informal.

Do you use an assessment resource that is used across the whole curriculum, or a system just for music, maybe something invented by yourself? Have you invented a system that you would be willing to share? I'm not going to use it for anything other than a sharing session/discussion with a group of class teachers and music co-ordinators, so they can develop their own practice. Just interested to see what goes on now, or not, with the new music curriculum in place.

(Have also posted in music section too.)

Many thanks indeed.

Fran

2. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Note to self: must teach some music by Christmas!

michaelt1979 likes this.
  3. FCarpenter

FCarpenter New commenter

That's the sort of thing I mean! lol (though not really a laughing matter)

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Hello Fran-assessment for music has not been sorted in my school yet.. I assess the children using my professional judgement according to whether they have accomplished the learning objectives set, achieved above the average expectations or not yet achieved the average expectations. It is all very subjective at the moment.

5. FCarpenter

FCarpenter New commenter

Hello, am just bumping this back to the top again, in the hope that someone else might like to briefly discuss or share what they do (or dont do) re music assessment in their primary school. Grateful. And thanks, Sparklepig, hope you had a good festive season! Fran x

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Can they sing vaguely in tune? Yes/No
    Can they blow their trumpet Yes/No
    Can they remember which note is which? Yes/No
    Can they get through a brass lesson without blasting a note down the next person's ear? Yes/No

Sorry, that's about it!

7. FCarpenter

FCarpenter New commenter

Thank you! x

8. summlard

summlard New commenter

Am I the only one who feels that formal assessment in subjects like music is just a waste of time in primary schools?

9. FCarpenter

FCarpenter New commenter

No. Not at all, by the answers I have received. I am just trying to find out what does currently go on, if anything, and so far, not much! x

10. lukepeterwatson

lukepeterwatson New commenter

Hi Fran,

I recommend searching for the 'Hampshire Music Service' and sending them an email. Even if you aren't in the Hants LEA, I'm sure they'd send over some ideas or resources to enable you to achieve what it is you would like to.

Bests,

Luke

11. raekwon11

raekwon11 New commenter

I am the music subject leader in my school and I have put together an assessment form which includes objectives linked to NC. Chn are then colour coded in four different colours (Blue, green amber and red). I can send you a copy for you to look at if you wish.

Mellissa

12. raekwon11

raekwon11 New commenter

13. raekwon11

raekwon11 New commenter

I am the music subject leader in my school and I have put together an assessment form which includes objectives linked to NC. Chn are then colour coded in four different colours (Blue, green amber and red). I can send you a copy for you to look at if you wish.

Mellissa

14. teacher1200

teacher1200 New commenter

At our school (secondary) we use a baseline test for year 6s who audition for places at the school through musical aptitude. The following is the criteria we use for solo performances.
    You may want to use some of these criteria and simplify it if necessary?

Rhythmic awareness

8-10 Phrases are clearly articulated. Rhythms are consistent throughout the performance and the performer has an excellent feel of pulse.

5-7 Any rhythmic issues do not interrupt the flow of the music. A strong pulse is felt throughout the performance however there some inaccuracies present.

1-4 Some awareness of a pulse however interruptions to the flow of the music are in evidence.

Intonation/ projection

8-10
    No tuning issues. The candidate shows a consistent control of their tonal projection and can adapt it to suit the demands of the music.

5-7 Any tuning issues do not interrupt the flow of the music. There is evidence of projection although some inconsistencies or lack of subtlety are evident.

1-4 Tuning is flawed and interrupts the flow of the performance. Lack of consistency in tone and dynamics.

Musicality

8-10 The performer combines excellent control and stylistic awareness to produce a memorable performance.

5-7 There is evidence of some stylistic awareness. Technical issues combine to produce an adequate performance that fails to involve the listener.

1-4 Inconsistent stylistic awareness. A less than convincing performance.

Hope it could help?

15. FCarpenter

FCarpenter New commenter

Thank you.

16. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

We use Lancashire KLips for Music. Has Age Related Expectations for Y1 to Y6.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  17. sparklepig2002

Hello-is it possible to have a copy of your assessment? I have sent you a message. Many thanks.

18. sparklepig2002

hello-do you have a link for this?
    Many thanks.

19. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  20. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

No you are not the only one. Formal assessment is a waste of time as the subject is probably badly taught in many primary schools. I hated teaching it as I can't read music, I'm tone deaf and can't play an instrument. Apart from that things were fine.