1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment in primary MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Phoebe2013, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Phoebe2013

Phoebe2013 New commenter

How are you all managing this?
    At the moment I am using “I can” statements linked to each objective from the Klips(Lancashire) but it is quite onerous for teachers to have to individually highlight or tick each one after every lesson when they are having to do this for maths and literacy. Ideas?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Been a few years, since I led mfl, but I certainly didn't expect staff to 'feedback' after every lesson. :eek:

I had an end of topic assessment with only the relevant accompanying 'I can' statements. After all language learning is cumulative and just because a child 'can' straight after the lesson, doesn't mean they actually 'can' a couple of weeks later.

I did have an ongoing '3 ticks' system where staff could note any particular children who seemed to have a good grasp, which 'earned' them a tick on the assessment page at the end of a topic.

Not all the 'I can' statements will be relevant for every topic either.

MarieAnn18 likes this.
  3. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Have you looked at the Language Magician online assessment tool?

4. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

I use 'I can' statements, which are linked to my unit of work. For example, "I can say and understand the days of the week" or "I can write sentences saying what pets I have". When a child shows me they can do the I can, I note down their name and then periodically transfer the names to my spreadsheet for that class, which doesn't take very long. Some lessons I might be assessing 2 or 3 'I cans', other lessons are work in progress.

MarieAnn18 and Lara mfl 05 like this.