1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment in Nursery help!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Louise_Bates, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Im a reception teacher who may be asked to teach in nursery next year. Can anyone explain the difference between assessment in reception and in nursery? Is their some kind of formal assessment at the end of the year? Do you assess against the same profile points? etc If anyone can summarise the basic differences would be much appreciated!

Thanks Louise

2. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

Basically follow the development matters and the related age bands and assess where the child is at in terms of the objectives I there.
    Although the profile is for the end of Reception I tend to refer to it and get a glimpse of where each child would be at in terms of the profile and this is an expectation of SMT and the Head. Otherwise, it would be a case of assessing against the development matters bands.

3. The development matters band statements include the ELGs, so as children progress through them you can start matching them to the profile. Most children will have achieved some of the 1 to 3 scale points on the profile by the time they finish the nursery year. Some authorities collect these results.

4. We have a tracking document which is produced by the LA that includes the 30-50 month development matters, the 40-60 month dev matters and the ELG's.
    It's useful as we highlight areas that we think the children are achieving in 3 times a year. This is then passed onto school as part of our transition arrangements. The school then continue the document, highlighting the ELG's.
    LA advice is not to highlight ELG's.
    Our school tracks these results on a programme called primary pupil progress toolkit. Children are given a score according to whether they are achieving below, just within, securely within and achieving age related expectations.
    It's flawed on many levels, but at the same time, we can use the data to show progress, identify gaps and plan interventions.

5. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

Hi, I use development matters also.
    I do a basline assessment on entry and then in first 4 weeks hightlight where children are up yo. I then collate all information onto a tracking grid, to show the age bands children are working within in each area. I do this for DM and Propile points. So, i can track % of chil on track for DM and PP, which then leads very well into reception. however-do be aware that the % look very diff when you look at age related expectations in relation to DM andthen PP' expected' point score.