1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment in numeracy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Apr 2, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I find assessing children in numeracy harder than any other subject areas... And often when I sit down in front of my app grids, I find myself thinking "I don't actually know for certain they can do that!" which I suppose is partly due to having 30 children but also because I'm possibly not being as effective in the classroom at afl as I should be... Just wondering how other people go about seeing what pupils can / can't do... I just feel that sometimes my pupils do it and do it great while it's the topic, but would they be able to do it a few weeks / months later? I'm not so sure... Help.! Lol.

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I find assessing children in numeracy harder than any other subject areas... And often when I sit down in front of my app grids, I find myself thinking "I don't actually know for certain they can do that!" which I suppose is partly due to having 30 children but also because I'm possibly not being as effective in the classroom at afl as I should be... Just wondering how other people go about seeing what pupils can / can't do... I just feel that sometimes my pupils do it and do it great while it's the topic, but would they be able to do it a few weeks / months later? I'm not so sure... Help.! Lol.

3. I know that this in area that we also need to look at would also be interested to know how schools log oral assessment

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I find the most effective way to asess maths is during guided sessions - particularly when children have opportunities to use and apply knowledge and skills. I like to use problem solving tasks such as those from nrich.
    I ask my TA to note down anything they notice children doing or saying that is evidence of understanding. I tend not to pay so much attention to what they record in books unless I am there as it's the thinking and talk that tells you whether they know it or not.
    Carrie [​IMG]

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well I tend to try and gain an idea from looking at their boards & answers when on the carpet... Generally I rarely look at their books as I find they probably have worked together and stuff and feel it isn't a realistic picture. I've not been very good at guided groups because I have so many needy individuals, I tend to set them all up on independent tasks, then intercept with certain children and groups. Just feel very wobbly about who can do what and ticking it off, then finding that suddenly they can't lol.