1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment in ICT

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by bennett06, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Hi, I'm just wondering what schools do in terms of assessing and marking classwork/homework in ICT, and if anyone is willing to share their good practice?
    Thank you :)

2. robot1

robot1 New commenter

We do projects at KS3 which are both the basis of classwork and homework. There is about one project per half term as we have one 50 min lesson per week. These are handed in using the VLE and marked online. Feedback is also given online. The feedback must include:
    • What was good
    • Even better if ...
    • One or two targets
    • The effort grade
    • The attainment grade.
    We have moved away from giving each piece of work a national curriculum level and now grade work on a scale of A to E (plus U for no work handed in).
    At the end of the year or when required for monitoring we look at the grades and come up with a best fit NC level.

3. robot1

robot1 New commenter

After a discussion with my boss, we need to feedback to pupils more often. She is happy with everything else.
    This will be a challenge as I teach about 400 students per week and even once every half term was hard enough. I can see her point however as 6 or 7 weeks without any marking is a bit too long.

4. robot1

robot1 New commenter

After a discussion with my boss, we need to feedback to pupils more often. She is happy with everything else.
    This will be a challenge as I teach about 400 students per week and even once every half term was hard enough. I can see her point however as 6 or 7 weeks without any marking is a bit too long.

5. We use guided self/ peer levelling for classwork with a teacher review every half term - adding comments etc. Homework is project based and so can be coordinated throughout year groups e.g. so Y7 is not due in at same time as Y8 for example. NC Levels or % given.

6. I love these ideas you guys are sharing - why don't you upload your resources for these and we can save much re-invention of wheels!!!!

7. I try to make homework that supports the projects that the students are doing at the time and so it can all be marked in one package.For example we currently have a project where they use Google Sketchup to design a shopping centre and then build a Website for the centre. This week's homework is to find 5 Websites for shopping centres and review them. Once the project is finished I mark it as a whole INCLUDING the homework.