1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment help

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by creepingd, May 5, 2011.

1. Hi all, looking for a little advice or a point in the right direction.
    I am on my last placement of a PGDE course. At this point not only do I want to make an impression, it is also expected of me!
    Anyway, I need a little direction on assessment. I have a lot of reading and made improvements on AIFL techniques to assess during lessons.
    However, I am coming to the end of a topic (Speed, distance, time) and will obviously have to assess the students to see what they have learned (as well as how well I have taught!) But I want to stay away from just 'doing a test'. In my first placement the school gave out formal homework for the end of a topic, but this placement they are not so keen on this approach.
    Are there alternatives to a test (I am sure there are) and how could I go about finding out about them, or how well they work?
    Many thanks for any responses.

2. Hi all, looking for a little advice or a point in the right direction.
    I am on my last placement of a PGDE course. At this point not only do I want to make an impression, it is also expected of me!
    Anyway, I need a little direction on assessment. I have a lot of reading and made improvements on AIFL techniques to assess during lessons.
    However, I am coming to the end of a topic (Speed, distance, time) and will obviously have to assess the students to see what they have learned (as well as how well I have taught!) But I want to stay away from just 'doing a test'. In my first placement the school gave out formal homework for the end of a topic, but this placement they are not so keen on this approach.
    Are there alternatives to a test (I am sure there are) and how could I go about finding out about them, or how well they work?
    Many thanks for any responses.

3. gravell

gravell New commenter

Some kind of project based work where they have to work out their running speed in mph.