1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment - formal testing

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by DiscoBec, Oct 7, 2012.

1. My school has an assessment week each term and NfER testing is the order of the day. However, I'm not convinced that these tests are appropriate for Foundation Phase children. Just wondered what others do in their school. Do you report back to the head with your ongoing assessment data in terms of FP outcomes or do you do a formal test and report back with age-standardised scores?

2. My school has an assessment week each term and NfER testing is the order of the day. However, I'm not convinced that these tests are appropriate for Foundation Phase children. Just wondered what others do in their school. Do you report back to the head with your ongoing assessment data in terms of FP outcomes or do you do a formal test and report back with age-standardised scores?

3. We assess as and when necessary. Before new topic to see what skills we need to focus on and as we go along. We don't report outcomes progress to head. We do use incerts for tracking, mostly useful for end of year report writing.
    How does your assessment week work? i.e. how do you decide what to assess, and how much of each area throughout the week?

4. laugherne

laugherne New commenter

My understanding is that assessment is ongoing in all areas and for every child, in the Foundation Stage. Assessment is made through observation of child in own unaided activity; to enable us to achieve this in our FS setting observations of the children were on a rolling programme with every child observed every 3 weeks or so. This allowed us time to interact and support learning in freely chosen activities, as well as observe.In FS1 we limited our adult led focus activity to max. of 20 mins session, morning and afternoon, either at the start of a session or at the end so that free flow was not interrupted. Our observations were paper based (sticky labels) and once child had been observed in all areas of FS curriculum then only significant achievement was recorded.Assessment at end of FS1. In FS 2 the whole class sessions were 30 mins max. at beg. or end of session and other adult led focus activities were allocated out during the week depending when there was extra support in the room; these were always in group form whilst rest of class were at free flow activities. All areas of the curriculum were adult supported over a 2/3 week period , read and write an integral part of outdoor learning. Each child had a reading record, a piece of unaided writing was kept every half term which was assessed and graded and a maths assessment based on practical activities termly also assessed and graded. These assessments went to the head termly. I hope this is of some use to you; I know that Yr1 and 2 had increased teacher led time but still retained some child choice activity and learning but assessment was the same; termly in reading, writing, maths with the maths becoming more paper based. All assessed against NC levels.

5. laugherne are you in Wales? NC does not exist for yr 1 and 2 any longer. Also we do not follow the Foundation Stage - we have our own statutory framework - the Foundation Phase.