1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment for learning

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by Edlee, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Can anyone tell me where this comes from? I have googled and have found books about it but where did it start?
    Was it a government initiative, did someone 'invent' it, or is it just a label for good general assessment practices that can embrace a variety of tools?

Is it anything to do with a book called 'Inside the Black Box'?

I'm trying to get back into teaching after being out for 5 years with my kids and this is something that seems to be a real buzzword. But what is it?

Thanks

2. Can anyone tell me where this comes from? I have googled and have found books about it but where did it start?
    Was it a government initiative, did someone 'invent' it, or is it just a label for good general assessment practices that can embrace a variety of tools?

Is it anything to do with a book called 'Inside the Black Box'?

I'm trying to get back into teaching after being out for 5 years with my kids and this is something that seems to be a real buzzword. But what is it?

Thanks

3. Wasn't this another strategy invented around the time of 'Making Good Progress' and APP? Has it too not been sent to the National Archives?

4. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Used to work on this at LA / Masters level if you are still keen to know more PM me and I can send you a shedload of ( easily digestible ) stuff.

5. Thanks- have attempted to pm you but not sure if I've done it right so let me know if nothing comes through.
    Thanks.

6. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Ok Edd -think u should have the stuff ?

7. Thanks very much for giving up your time to send me that stuff. V. useful. Ta.

8. Hi there,

I'm currently doing my PGCE and am doing an m-level assignment on assessment for learning. I understand what it is and have been discovering it in a variety of contexts in school, but I too was wondering where does it actually stem from?

Bit cheeky to ask I know, but if you do know the answer, please feel free to help me out :)

Joey

9. Hello,

I'm looking into this stuff for some further review stuff at work - I'd be interested in reading. Thank you.

10. "In short, the QCA tried to hijack AfL, and attempted to sell things like
    APP under the guide of being AfL, when it was nothing of the sort."

APP is just one small part of AfL

11. APP has got nothing to do with AfL.

12. billymcbeard

billymcbeard New commenter

For my 2p worth;

AfL is the core SKILL underpinning effective APP assessment. As a formative assessment APP relies on the collection of knowledge of our children's abilities alongside the collation of data and evidence to arrive at an agreed standard.

AfL hasn't necessarily 'arrived' from anywhere. For me (just my opinion knife sharpeners!) it is fundamental to successful teaching. If you are not assessing the learning that is going on in your class on a lesson by lesson (heck, maybe minute by minute) basis, how can you effectively plan for and maintain progression?

If you look into the strata of AfL 99% of teachers will find that they already do a lot of the things that are considered AfL.

For me, ask yourself this key question; Would I be confident explaining how i know that child x is a 2a in Literacy whilst child y is a 3b? If you could, then you already AfL effectively.

There are some wonderful resources/books/websites out there. A bit of research and you can find some interesting approaches which will have you itching to try them.

My golden nugget? Try talk partners, changed every 2 weeks and drawn out by random selection. ;)

13. I wondered whether this should read "you already APP effectively"?

14. SUMMATIVE assessment (Assessment of Learning) involves gathering evidence of what children can do and then scrunching it into a neat little summary of where they are in their learning.
    FORMATIVE assessment (Assessment for Learning) involves using evidence of what children can do to inform teaching and learning.
    APP is SUMMATIVE. You end up with something like 'this child is a secure level 4 in maths'. You can't use this information to inform teaching and learning because the information isn't detailed enough: maybe the child is a level 5 in 3D shapes but only level 3 in data handling. So APP can't be formative.
    The process involved in getting to APP does, however, involve the same processes as AfL, but at the point you sit down and start highlighting the APP sheets, it becomes summative. In this sense, yes, AfL is a skill underpinning APP, but, as you also say, AfL also underpins successful teaching. I repeat...APP is not AfL and it is not formative, it is summative.

15. ...and at the end of the day, if you do AfL well, APP becomes an irrelevant sideshow in the teaching and learning process. You don't grow plants by measuring them.

16. (Why don't people get AfL? I've got colleagues I've worked with for years who won't try any of it. It's clear it has nothing to do with APP, but the link is still made. Why?)

17. I totally agree with you. The link was initially made by the QCA, who tried to hijack AfL by launching its own "AfL Strategy", a strategy that was all about summative assessment, not formative assessment. It then tried to market APP by claiming it was an integral part of AfL. Now publishers of tests try to sell them by claiming they support AfL.
    Sadly, a lot of teachers now think that summative assessments like APP and tests really are AfL.