1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment for Learning in Year 5/6- observations

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Gratzia, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

Does anyone have any great ideas on how to show A f L in any observed lessons - baring in mind that many of our lessons are often observed for only 20mins - 30mins at a time. Sometimes beginning, middle or end.

All ideas really appreciated.

2. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

Does anyone have any great ideas on how to show A f L in any observed lessons - baring in mind that many of our lessons are often observed for only 20mins - 30mins at a time. Sometimes beginning, middle or end.

All ideas really appreciated.

3. I'm sure you recognise the importance of using AfL constantly - not just observed lessons.
    You need to show that you have used assessment of children's prior learning in order to plan the next steps effectively. Plans from files off the shelf rarely show effective AfL because they are not written for that particular class. As for in lesson AfL, you will need to be constantly assessing children's understanding, changing tack where needed rather than rigidly sticking to a set L.O. Highlight the children's learning by stating "We are learning this today because yesterday you couldn't....."

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i have found it is worth referring to children's individual targets during the intro/starter when they are working on individual white boards. State that the child has met their target and send them to get the WB pcopied.
    Can you get pupils to highlight where they have met their own target, mark other pupils' work and suggest the next stage.
    Learning ladders for the topic stuck in and referred to for self assessment.
    Make a mental note of 2 or 3 individuals who made a mistake in the last session, refer to them each in the teachr spiel (preferably one for each level of achievment)

5. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

Yes I do know the importance of using AfL constantly - all good teachers do.

But we all know that when being observed, certain areas of teaching and learning have to be emphasised more than normal for inspectors - incase they miss it.

I always refer to prior learning, past work and targets - its easier at the beginning and the end of a lesson. It's more AfL in the middle of a lesson that I'm looking for new ideas.

Hammie, I like the idea of children highlighting where they have met their target. My class do peer assess at the end of a lesson but I've never done it during a lesson before. I could ask them to consider if they have met any targets yet and if not how are they going to achieve this.