1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment evidence maths KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by toomuchtodo, Apr 24, 2016.

1. toomuchtodo

toomuchtodo New commenter

I have been informed that practice papers cannot be used as evidence for assessment in maths unless there is work in books to back this up.
    Can anyone spread any light on this? Surely what is the point in the children doing a test at all if this is not reliable evidence!

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Told by who?

3. toomuchtodo

4. Malenko

Malenko New commenter

I've no "word" on the truth of this. And obviously if your LA is saying it and they moderate you then they're whats relevent unless you have something more official to back you up (or are strong enough to suggest they don't have any backing for their stance in reason or officially). Still I'll offer opinions on the sub-questions.

What do you mean by practice papers (past/commercial/official sample)? This will could be a factor in terms of only the official sample is an official paper for the present curriculum. This shouldn't matter if the specific quesiton is nonetheless pertinent to the NC but ...

In terms of why do it (other than for official summative assessment)? To familiarise children with test style questions in test style conditions and for your own formative assessment/AfL/diagnostic purposes.

But for me in terms of common sense I don't understand why any evidence would be thrown out. Maybe they think it is easier to "cheat" (of course one could give answers in "normal" lessons ...).

5. toomuchtodo

It was presented as 'best practice' - that evidence should be based on day to day work rather than from 'tests'. The trouble is that I have done lots of practice tests now using ******, sample tests, Whiterose etc and it would be very easy for me to pick out examples from these that cover a wide range of the statements.
    I just wondered if, as you say, there was something official on this - I can't find anything if there is - or if it is just another 'hoop' that we are to jump through, to over complicate the whole system as if it wasn't complicated enough already!!

6. MrsMusgrove

MrsMusgrove New commenter

Do you need evidence in maths? I was under the impression that it was only writing that gets moderated in y6? And reading and maths attainments are based on the tests?

7. toomuchtodo

Indeed!! However, my school is organising maths moderation meetings in order to ensure that we are seen to be making correct judgements. I really do have so many other things to think about at the moment - next it will be reading. I just need to concentrate on the writing ATM - feeling rather overwhelmed. :(

8. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

I am a year 6 teacher and it is officially only writing which is moderated. I'm sorry but if your school is now insisting on moderating maths the same as writing I feel that this is increasing the workload unnecessarily. For me, the writing takes long enough as it is. Takes me over 2 hours per week just to mark my writing books, the I have to assess each piece against the statements and of course write comments, then have the children respond oh yes then reasoned to their response. This is only writing. Then I mark all their other books for each subject remembering to mark any writing cross curricular against the standards. If I was told I then had to do the same for maths I think I would probably crumble too.
    Poor you. I would be checking with my union as this does not same right to me as there is no statutory obligation to do so. Good luck

9. bugslamb

bugslamb New commenter

I suspect needing evidence is to do with the interim assessment list of statements for our teacher assessments for this year.

'The standard within the interim framework contains a number of ‘pupil can’ statements. To demonstrate that pupils have met the standard, teachers will need to have evidence that a pupil demonstrates consistent attainment of all the statements within the standard.'

I know we are dating the maths framework to show when we have evidence in books or on a test. I am definitely using test responses if they give me more evidence.

10. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

The key word is 'consistent'.

If they have answered a question right in a text, is that consistent evidence that they can do the skill? Realistically, no it probably isn't. However, it could be part of the evidence.

Two things to consider:

1) We aren't moderated for out teacher judgments in maths, reading and science. No-one will come around asking for your evidence and checking up on you (at least, no-one from LA or other external bodies). You shouldn't be having to make evidence folders or anything like that to justify your decisions, they are professionally based. You should have work in books/test papers/things they have said to you etc over the year that you view as 'evidence' but they don't need hunting out and copying or compiling.

2) Teacher assessments in maths, writing and science is basically a pass/fail measure. Professionalism and common sense are the prevailing factors in my opinion, not binders of evidence. If a child, who is a bit shaky on one concept, has got a question right in a test on that concept, it helps you form a better impression of what they are capable of. Taken in isolation it may mean less, but you know your children and can probably tell if they had a realistic attempt at a problem or fluked it.