1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment at KS3 without GCSE stems

Discussion in 'History' started by m_a_barron, Nov 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. m_a_barron

m_a_barron New commenter

I have been asked to develop a scheme of work for a unit in history at Ks3.
    the criteria I have been given is that the assessment and tasks through the course do not look like GCSE style questions. However at the end of the course I need to convert whatever data/assessment I have collected into a GCSE grade for tracking progress.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to solve this problem? Creating a GCSE progress grade when not actually using the GCSE stems or tasks.

regards

2. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator New commenter

I only teach KS4 but why on earth don't they want it to have GCSE style questions?
    I think the more students feel comfortable doing questions the better.
    Hope someone has some answers for you.

3. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

Ask valid historical questions. Do some ugly maths to get a GCSE equivalent at the end.

Using GCSE question stems in Year 7 is painful. Far better to do real history with them instead of jumping through assessment hoops.

FrankWolley likes this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If you know what % of your year cohort* get each grade at GCSE, then why not set good, valid historical tasks for your KS3 History course, mark them so as to get a rank order, and give the same % of each cohort get the grade historically your department gets...;)

* Assuming that year cohorts in your school haven't changed over the last few years, of course.

varcolac likes this.
  5. varcolac

That's the ugly maths I was referring to!

6. m_a_barron

m_a_barron New commenter

What do you mean by "real history"? I feel that many of the edexcel gcse question stems step up valid historical debate perfectly well. Both the 16 marker "how far do you agree with this statement?" and the interpretation questions.

7. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

If you are happy with it (at GCSE), then that's great.

But I get the impression that many history teachers are not convinced. At all. They believe hoops are being jumped through!

8. varcolac

They can and do but they're needlessly prescriptive. Instead of having students write a balanced argument it ends up more like "How far was X a cause of Y? You may use the following points in your answer."

Don't get me started on the interpretations question - it's a paint-by-numbers approach to historical interpretations, much like the "further research" source question.

If you're fine using them then sure, I guess, you can use them. I think some valid questions to ask about the Norman Conquest or whatever you're teaching to Year 7 aren't necessarily reducible to a 16-mark question stem though, and the original post was about not using the GCSE tasks or question stems.