1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment Arrangements for 2014

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by hannahspannah, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Has anyone heard / know anything about how we are to assess attainment and progress under the new curriculum?

The documents I have read state clearly that schools will be left to devise their own methods of data collection etc but what exactly will we be collecting and measuring?

A one size fits all skills box is as far as I have come to understanding the intentions of the new curriculum but I am anxious to know exactly what this will look like. Is it merely going to be a box ticking exercise where children's achievements according to the age they are or the year group they are in are ticked off or will it be the old level descriptors just under a different name?

I am also a bit concerend about how this progress will then be measured - points progress? ARE? what exactly are we being asked to do???

2. I'm wondering if it will be a case of using the age appropriate NC descriptors to decide if the children are meeting age appropriate expectations/ exceeding/ below- just like FS. Some guidance would be great though! What a nightmare it could be when children change from 1 school to another.

3. T34

T34 Established commenter

Apparently a school will be able to do whatever it likes !!!!

We are promised "best practice" examples, but no sign of any being forthcoming as yet. In the rush to change the curriculum, tracking is being neglected.

How the DIckens are we to devise a tracking model when we don't even know how the National Curriculum test results are to be graded?

4. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Will the NCTs be of much significance by then? That's another question. There's not that much left of them now. Even when NCTs were a bigger deal, they were only 50% of the key stage result - for subjects that had them (not that many) and for children who took them.

5. T34

T34 Established commenter

Whether by tests or some other method, kids will still be graded at each Key stage (or end of each key stage - they don't seem to be able to make their minds up as to whether a key stage is a point in time or a period of time).