1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment and tracking

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jo_trev, Jan 21, 2017.

1. jo_trev

jo_trev New commenter

Hi all,

I was wondering what assessment tools you use for tracking your pupil's progress throughout the year in the core subjects and the non-core subjects please. We are looking to introduce a formal tracking procedure as we currently do not have anything like that in place (we are an independent school) but there are so many out there. I used to use Target Tracker (about 10 years ago) and I remember not being a huge fan - though it may have changed a lot since then. I am obviously looking for the most user friendly as possible.

Thanks all

Jo

2. TheIrishTeacher

TheIrishTeacher New commenter

I worked in England last year and the school used Herts for Learning assessment grids. Very easy to use and quite similar to the statements you would have seen on APP.

3. mrcooldude

mrcooldude Occasional commenter

We use an adapted version of Michael Tidd's excel trackers - very simple.

4. duckling84

duckling84 New commenter

I'm so sorry to sound thick, but I don't teach in England. What is APP? x

5. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

A scandalous waste of time and effort, introduced c.2008, is now long gone.

6. bluesofa

bluesofa New commenter

The commercial ones tend to use year end statements too early in the year.

7. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Yes. Had this argument recently at a moderation meeting. Overzealous teachers let loose with highlighters scouring for evidence of meeting year end statements in work actually completed in the Autumn Term. Poor understanding of the notion of 'progress towards'.

These people just cannot let go of levels. Effectively what a lot of schools have just done is replaced levels with levels. Their highlighted quota of statements makes them feel safe.

Got no problem with schools using a set of statements, but it's how they're being used that's the problem now. It should be a professional judgement of the teacher to determine whether the pupil will achieve the standards by the end of the year.

8. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Be careful! The tracking systems I know of are tied very tightly to the national curriculum, which as an independent school you don't have to follow to the letter. This means that if you want to cover topics which aren't in the national curriculum or which are at a higher level than the key stage you teach, there may not be a way of recording them. Some of these systems are incredibly time consuming and the inputting of a considerable amount of data actually detracts from the time teachers have to prepare lessons and teach. Can you not create a bespoke record which focuses on what your experienced and professional staff deem to be the key concepts and skills in their respective subject areas/year groups? I would ask other independent schools how they track/check the progress of their pupils, but I would be very, very wary of introducing a complex, expensive and time-consuming commercial package.

jo_trev likes this.
  9. cmpack77

cmpack77 New commenter

We are an independent school and currently use the Learning Ladders system to track our pupils. It is not perfect but it does allow us to adapt the ladder rungs so if we choose to cover something not in the National Curriculum we can easily create a rung for it or we can amend the wording of rungs if we want to which helps.

10. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Whatever system you choose - it should not be levels by another name. Also many systems try to do both tracking and AfL but do neither well. At any point schools should be able to identify pupils who are 'on track' to meet ARE by the end of the year.

There may be a place for using tests which give you a standardised score which can help track progress.

Also check the criteria being used is what you want it to be. Using key understandings/ objectives rather than measuring pupils against the whole of the POS is more effective and manageable and will support planning. It is crucial to ensure that the criteria reflects the aims of the curriculum and is not just a list of objectives.

11. derek_underwood79

derek_underwood79 Occasional commenter

We use Connecting Steps.