1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment and resources ks2

Discussion in 'Independent' started by gilly33, Jul 17, 2012.

1. gilly33

gilly33 New commenter

Hello, can anybody offer any advice on suitable assessment for Eng, Maths and Science for child leaving state education at end of y3. I haven't been given her levels and know they would not be up to date if offered.
    I would prefer an alternative to y3 end of year sats and wondered what was used in the indie esctor.
    I would also welcome any advice on the advantages/ disadvantages of investing in Galore Park books for Home Ed purposes. We particularly want to utilise grammar education (well my husband does).
    Many thanks.

2. gilly33

gilly33 New commenter

Hello, can anybody offer any advice on suitable assessment for Eng, Maths and Science for child leaving state education at end of y3. I haven't been given her levels and know they would not be up to date if offered.
    I would prefer an alternative to y3 end of year sats and wondered what was used in the indie esctor.
    I would also welcome any advice on the advantages/ disadvantages of investing in Galore Park books for Home Ed purposes. We particularly want to utilise grammar education (well my husband does).
    Many thanks.

3. star9

star9 New commenter

Are you going to home educate?

We have used GL assessment. ( used to be NFER)

Galore Park do their own assessments with ISEB. But they can not be levelled but are more rigorous.

4. gilly33

gilly33 New commenter

Yes we are going to Home Ed and we would like to have an idea where our daughter is up to. I have heard of Galore Park and know it is used sometimes in the private sector. I have seen a few example pages but really not sure whether I should invest as I'm not sure they would be appropriate for 1 to 1 tutoring.

5. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Why not? Have you requested them? Schools have to transfer records , ( even, I assume, for home tutoring). Furthermore as a parent, ou simply have a right to this info. Most schools are closed for the hols now. Is it too late?
    Just out of curiosity , why?

6. gilly33

gilly33 New commenter

James. Yes thank you they do look promising from the point of view there are varying sections including reinforcement and I imagine they are quite child friendly.
    I was trying to steer away from the whole KS ethos but I know this is going to be a tall order.
    So many resources are for children at school it is quite difficult. Thank you though I will give some a try and post again.

7. gilly33

gilly33 New commenter

Hello, McCahey.
    I haven't requested them as it was entirely our fault missing the few days when reports came out. We only got it on the last day of term. I was going to email and ask but knew the tests had been done some time ago. So I did do one assessment myself last week and used the only sats y3 paper I could find. So hence, this is why I preferred something different.
    Anything other than the Moving Statue.
    Oh levels were not on report as they are only given at the end of ks1/2.
    Our decision to H.ed has nothing to do with the school, it was lovely and the teachers were good but alas she has so many other things she wants to do. So school is now mornings mon-fri at home.