1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessment and motivation from SATs to GCSE

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by heatherbliss, May 3, 2018.

1. heatherbliss

heatherbliss New commenter

Hi, I am looking at this for my PhD - looking at how SATs results motivate or demotivate students as they progress through to GCSE. How do you do this in your school? Are children aware of their SATs results? Are they targeted from these?

Also, looking for some honesty here (if possible). One of the possible issues come from 'Pygmalion in the Classroom' where teachers 'prefer' students over other students and this then reflects on how they treat different students. Do you find yourself favouring your 'favourite' students over others? Or can you adapt to make sure you don't? I know this does happen as my child had quite a rough time in years 4 and 5 from the same class teacher who made it quite obvious she didn't like him. (He's 18 now and seems to have worked through that).

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Many thanks in advance

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Internal / external motivation ? Labelling. Teaching to the test ? Recognition of soft skills ? Grouping arrangements ? Assessments / exams which are fit for purpose ? Students who see success in education as being a race which they are never going to win ?

Am sure students and staff aware of the scores on the doors - but the question I would be posing would be more along the lines of ‘what does this tell us about the students ‘ and ‘ what ( if anything ) does it tell us about the nature of ‘learning’....which kind of links to your question re motivation ?

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

One tiny thing. You maybe shouldn't use idle misnomers in PhD work.

National Curriculum Tests have never been "School Accountability Trials" or anything like that.

Some teachers call them "sats" - with various spellings - as a joke but many more swallow the myth. It doesn't help that those who really know better pander to ignorance. (The TES pretends that the tests are called "Sats".)

They're really NCTs.

4. john_mountford48

john_mountford48 New commenter

I'm a retired primary head and former OfSTED inspector working with a retired secondary head, inquiring into the specifics of the spurious ‘standardisation’ process for the KS2 SATs. Why 'spurious' you might ask? - or maybe not, most aren't!! Our research to date has revealed a worrying level of political interference in the new process. It is left to the Secretary of State for Education on an annual basis to decide on a ‘pass mark’. The forced feeding of Yr6 pupils is producing inflated results and in this setting, secondary schools have to set meaningful progress targets. Many are now resorting to the use of Cognitive Ability Tests in Yr7. Statistically, it is a shameful mess which is why we, and a growing chorus of other commentators, declare SATs unfit for purpose. The profession largely agrees with this but even headteachers are unable to challenge it. Any views??

5. markuss

Why does a former Head and Ofsted inspector pretend that children do SATs?

Did they ever talk this nonsense in schools they were inspecting?

Did they ever try to get away with putting "SATs" in an official report as a sort of joke?

6. markuss

They seem to have a fantasy that the tests must be "standardized". They're not. The test markers go through a standardisation process, not the NCTs.

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I don’t think schools ‘ resort ‘ to doing CATs. I think they are another strand of assessment - the data can be helpful and confirm / deny presence of an SpLD for example / provide evidence for further investagion / highlight that the school’s priority learning need is MLD and thus impact on how / what you deliver as your curriculum model to accommodate most of a co hort / co horts of students ..,